You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to cook a battery?

Well I cooked my batteries and have replaced all of them now and I notice a difference of opinion here on whether or not to "merge" while the coach is parked in the bus barn for a lengthy period of time. I've always merged while plugged into 50amp so am going to now go the route to "not merge" like some of you! My question is do you unplug/turn off your Refrigerator while sitting in storage like this? After all these years of ownership my learning curve is still there & I appreciate learning from all of you! Jim

i always kept mine un merged, but this last time i went to start it the batteries were dead. so, i have left it on merge the last few months. but...my echocharge should have worked and must not be.

as for fridge. you will get many opinions. my 2002 coach had the amana side by side. it had been used alot in the years before i had it and i bet was turned on and off after every use. so i did the same thing. well, i had to replace it in canada on a trip two summers ago. not something to want to do.

i have a fridge in the pantry of our house that has been on for 28 years. never an issue.

so, my new kitchenaid in the coach has not been off since i bought it a year and half ago. and wont be.

just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I leave my frig on all the time. I merge one day about every 2 week. I cut on merge yesterday and before I did I put my volt meter on the engine batteries and they read 12.5 volts after about 2 weeks which is about 80% charged. According to my charts 12.4 is 75% and 12.7 fully charged. Jim, my learning curve is always ready.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I have left my coach in storage for several months, plugged in to 50 amps, and the Ecocharger has kept the chassis batteries fully charged. However, I have not made up my mind on leaving the Amana running. I have had trouble with icemakers in the past by turning them off for months at a time. The lining in the tray comes loose, and I think that it is happening with my Amana.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

We always leave batteries merged & refrigerator on. It is a Norcold. Ice maker (stand alone Dometic) we leave off until we head out of garage. It gets pretty frosted up if left on. Garage has 30 amp service. The coach has been totally unplugged & un-merged while being held hostage by Stewart Stevenson the last 76 days. Will let you know how it worked out when we get it back.

Clint, I think I would ask them to start the Gen. every now and then. How are thing progressing with the engine?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I turn the merge on and off weekly and when driving too as I always run the Genset driving ...

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks everyone for all of your valuable info! Experience always counts big time in my books! Jim