You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

adjustable height question

Twice I have raised mine to its maximum height to cross a bride with a high crown. At maximum height, there is no spring to the air bags and the ride, even at a slow speed, is very rough. I have to actuate an override switch to move it to maximum.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I also need to ask the next obvious question- How much extra ground clearance can you gain at the fully raised position?

06 M450LXi 3 slide

About 6"

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

That's a pretty sizeable amount!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I think typically, the TOTAL height adjustment is 6-8 inches so if the suspension is centered (horizontally) it would have 3-4" up and 3-4" down. You are also limited by the shock absorber travel and I don't think that is more than about 8" total.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,

Thanks for that clarification. Even an extra 3-4" would get you over most obstacles.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I finally got a chance to make some measurements on my air suspension when it was on shop air at the Newell factory. My 1992 had 6-1/2" of total horizontal travel from full drop to full raise in the rear and 9" in the front. Normal ride height was EXACTLY in the middle of the range in the rear. My front end is sitting 1/2" high based on suspension travel because I have 4" up and 5" down when it is at ride height instead of 4-1/2" both directions. I may try dropping the front about a 1/2" to get it in the center of the travel range and see how that works.

From normal ride height, I can raise the rear 3-1/4" and the front 4" (4-1/2" if it were set center of travel).

When the rear is lowered all the way, the fenders are touching the outside of the drive axle outside tires.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Now that is out of the way, Just write me a check and we both will be happyBig Grin

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Michael,

That's great info. Thank you for your efforts in obtaining it.

06 M450LXi 3 slide