You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power steering suddenly out #1261, 2009

Epilogue: Voyage To The Bottom Of The Wallet, seems like a Quinn Martin Production

I had help from Newell, all the way. Broke down on a Sunday and Mark called me back, offered to stop bailing hay, drive to the plant, and send someone to install it. We both agreed that because I was safe, off the road at a truck stop, he would check on Monday. Good thing we did because they did not have the pump in stock. The next day Cambri found a supplier that could send it quick......but where? There was no dependable place that could receive it for me (I checked). Best play was to have Newell deliver it. If I picked it up, an additional day would have been added and we had Dr. appointments for the time after Newell. As long as they were delivering it, I asked them to install it as well. Wow was this a good choice. I did not have all my tools (maiden voyage) and would have needed to make some more as well. Taylor (Newell mechanic) arrived at 6 AM and had those tools. It only took him 2 hours to install. Later that day I was able to call Creslie and tell him to run away fast 'cause I was coming home....Hahahahahaha.

Before Cambri found the supplier, I had 2 roadside help companies searching for the part, I was calling pump suppliers and truck parts places....all came up dry. Many thanks again to Cambri !!!!

So why did it snap? That's the mystery. It looked to me as if the shaft had a rusty spot that started the crack, which ultimately spread and sheared off. The replacement pump's shaft was in good shape, no nicks, and Taylor put assembly grease on it. It went in smooth so maybe this one will be strong. I'm calling it over. I will get 2 new shafts. one to rebuild the original pump and the other as a spare for the current one.

Bottom line, shaft inspection is probably something to add to the annual PM list. Also I could have done it, just buy some more tools and customize a couple. But it was at least a day, maybe 2 days more for me because of the tools issue. We were already there for 5 days and we were getting the "stink eye" from the truck stop. 2 more days seemed stretching it. Now resting at Newell, fixing some small things and waiting for parts and some work for this week.

Also, thanks for all of you guys on this forum. I read a few posts and isolated the pump as the problem, as a result.......'till the next time....

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car