You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

hwh slides experience at newell is fading

hi all,

for those of us with hwh hydraulic slides it is becoming very clear that the old guard at newell that understood and fixed them is fading quickly.   that makes it even more important for us to help each other and document and post our fixes and experiences with them.  

i have spent alot of time talking to folks about issues and some have said that newell has told them they cannot help them with their hwh problems.  

i know that richard has spent even more time than i as well as glen and others.  

top it off with the fact that hwh in iowa has a rather unusual phone support system that makes it challenging to get timely help.  in addition, newell did some of their own modifications to the hwh setup so hwh is not always able to help.  

i have done a handful of slide seals at my place on my own coach and others.  i have a rather nice slide cart to take the flat floor slides out for replacing the seal.  i am not always available but am usually willing to help with it if you are near az.  the only cost is your blood sweat and tears and keeping me laughing.  

all that said,  please take the time to document whatever issues you have so that we can help each other as the support for our older systems slowly fades into the sunset.  

lets keep helping each other.  i am proud to be associated with all of you

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
Not sure this has ever been discussed on here, but Newell added a vaccum pump to our slides when we had an HWH coach like they have on the valid systems. That helped tremendously with rolled seals throughout the years.

(06-04-2024, 12:30 PM)encantotom Wrote:  hi all,

for those of us with hwh hydraulic slides it is becoming very clear that the old guard at newell that understood and fixed them is fading quickly.   that makes it even more important for us to help each other and document and post our fixes and experiences with them.  

i have spent alot of time talking to folks about issues and some have said that newell has told them they cannot help them with their hwh problems.  

i know that richard has spent even more time than i as well as glen and others.  

top it off with the fact that hwh in iowa has a rather unusual phone support system that makes it challenging to get timely help.  in addition, newell did some of their own modifications to the hwh setup so hwh is not always able to help.  

i have done a handful of slide seals at my place on my own coach and others.  i have a rather nice slide cart to take the flat floor slides out for replacing the seal.  i am not always available but am usually willing to help with it if you are near az.  the only cost is your blood sweat and tears and keeping me laughing.  

all that said,  please take the time to document whatever issues you have so that we can help each other as the support for our older systems slowly fades into the sunset.  

lets keep helping each other.  i am proud to be associated with all of you

tom

Unfortunately this vacuum of knowledge is affecting almost all areas of the trades. I have worked for a industrial electrical contractor for over 20 years now and we are struggling with getting folks who are interested in learning the trades and the hard work that comes with it. 
This is also the reason I started working on the 2 stroke detroits, could not find many folks that know what they are doing with them anymore, and the ones that are out there not sure if you can trust them. I have been quite fortunate through some bus connections to be able to chat with a very knowledgably and helpful mechanic over on the west coast of the US and he was happy to pass on his knowledge. Unfortunately he is a rarity, most of them do not want to talk to you and show you anything. We had a local guy here just north of us that was supposed to be a 2 stroke expert and he wanted you to drop it off and go away, he would not pick up a wrench until you were off his premises. After all that he still messed up my buddies engine and I had to go back in and fix it for him. 
Anyways its good that you guys are trying to pass along this knowledge. I need to get familiar with these things, I do like to help out folks when I can. I have spent most of the day today fielding calls from two different folks who needed help. I try to help if I can and I have the time.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

There us a thread on the vacuum pump mod. I have it on both my slides. Very easy to do and it helps a great deal

Thanks

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I hate hearing this. We are losing airbag supply, HWH knowledge, 6-pack's that are wired/plumbed differently than HWH in Iowa can help us due to Newell's custom builds, 2-stroke knowledge base disappearing. I have learned so much on my own by just trying. I hope my engine doesn't need any major work done. If it does, I guess I will rent a large forklift and pull it out myself. Getting older and weaker doesn't help either, but my mind thinks I can.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I have heard from a couple of our members stories about HWH and Newell, bill amounts that make your knees weak. I wish we could come up with a retro fit of something better and simpler.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon