09-11-2026, 08:48 AM
Hi Carl,
It’s great to hear from you. We are touring NE and the Maritimes next year. Hopefully we can meet in person.
There are a couple of threads in the Prevost community about DIY conversion to electric fans, but honestly little technical data other than it works. One guy did a custom shroud with SPAL fans. One guy used 2 2 fan setups from a Chevy Tahoe or something like that. In both cases I think they simply mounted on/off tstats to the water pump to control the power.
What I can’t get from those posts/youtube vids is power consumption, any change in fuel mileage, and performance in challenging conditions. For example, last week I climbed Snoqualmie pass in 95 degree temps with no issues with the mechanical setup. The electric setup that Prevost/Volvo is using is a bit more sophisticated, with the control system controlling the number of fans running.
One more odd tidbit. The guy who did the SPAL fans swears he tried mounting them inside like the orig and that did not work. He attests that they have to be mounted outside. The guy that used the Chevy setup simply mounted them inside and fabbed a primitive shroud.
I am leaving the coach for a few days and will try to find links when I get back.
It’s great to hear from you. We are touring NE and the Maritimes next year. Hopefully we can meet in person.
There are a couple of threads in the Prevost community about DIY conversion to electric fans, but honestly little technical data other than it works. One guy did a custom shroud with SPAL fans. One guy used 2 2 fan setups from a Chevy Tahoe or something like that. In both cases I think they simply mounted on/off tstats to the water pump to control the power.
What I can’t get from those posts/youtube vids is power consumption, any change in fuel mileage, and performance in challenging conditions. For example, last week I climbed Snoqualmie pass in 95 degree temps with no issues with the mechanical setup. The electric setup that Prevost/Volvo is using is a bit more sophisticated, with the control system controlling the number of fans running.
One more odd tidbit. The guy who did the SPAL fans swears he tried mounting them inside like the orig and that did not work. He attests that they have to be mounted outside. The guy that used the Chevy setup simply mounted them inside and fabbed a primitive shroud.
I am leaving the coach for a few days and will try to find links when I get back.
Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
95 Newell, 390 Ex caretaker
99 Newell, 512 Ex caretaker
07 Prevost Marathon, 1025
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home
)

