You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headhunter Mach 5 Water Pump

I read pictures far better than I read words. Thank you for always posting pictures.

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

Richard, they could be punched out easily with the right machine.  I used some scrap metal, happened to be a piece of a ride height valve.  I doubt there is a large market but perhaps the boating industry would make it worthwhile.

Thanks Jack, I'm following your lead on show & tell.

I get concerned when the pump seal doesn't allow the armature to turn.  I wiggle it back & forth a little at a time to break it loose, always worried about causing damage to the seal.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

I’ve got a pump that hums for maybe 30 seconds to a minute and then stops humming. I ran the coach out of water and after filing got a little burst of water and then nothing.

Thinking maybe some kind of air lock? Called Headhunter and they recommended trying to turn that shaft, but my pump is mounted about 2 inches off the wall so every combination of right angle screw drivers I can muster do not fit.

Any suggestions before I dig deeper?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

when that happens to mine turning the shaft fixes it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(Yesterday, 09:14 AM)encantotom Wrote:  when that happens to mine turning the shaft fixes it

tom

How do I get a screwdriver in there with the pump being mounted about two inches from the wall?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Use a key or coin to remove the plug.  Find a piece of metal 3" long around 3/8" wide and 1/16" thick.  That should work

Jim

(Yesterday, 12:09 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Use a key or coin to remove the plug.  Find a piece of metal 3" long around 3/8" wide and 1/16" thick.  That should work

I can remove the plug, but there is no room the way mine is mounted to get a 3" piece in there.  I might have to play around with piecing together several different combinations of extensions.  I'm thinking if I have a flat head bit that is maybe two inches long it will make it past what is some kind of sleeve and then it can attach a 1/4 inch drive, etc.  Tough to see what I'm working with where it's mounted so close to the wall of the bay.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

The link is just for the pictures, easier to see than describe. Any auto parts store or Lowes will have them.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/angle-screwdriver

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(Yesterday, 12:30 PM)360 Wrote:  
(Yesterday, 12:09 PM)hypoxia Wrote:  Use a key or coin to remove the plug.  Find a piece of metal 3" long around 3/8" wide and 1/16" thick.  That should work

I can remove the plug, but there is no room the way mine is mounted to get a 3" piece in there.  I might have to play around with piecing together several different combinations of extensions.  I'm thinking if I have a flat head bit that is maybe two inches long it will make it past what is some kind of sleeve and then it can attach a 1/4 inch drive, etc.  Tough to see what I'm working with where it's mounted so close to the wall of the bay.
Mine is about 3" clearance.  I think if you had that piece of metal previously discussed you would probably find you could get it in the hole and make it work.  If not, go with a slightly narrower piece of metal.  It has to go in the hole quite a ways to engage the armature.  You do not want to lose a segment of screwdriver in that hole.

Jim