You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Another mystery short?

So I have a new issue that seems to come and go with the time of day. When I start the engine, the 'Check Engine' and 'Stop Engine' light are on but go off, except sometimes they both come back on in less than 10 seconds and the engine will shut off accordingly. But then without touching anything, I can start it back up and it'll run fine.  
I was driving through Indiana last summer and had a similar issue that turned out to be caused by a bad coolant temp module. We had to spend the night on a deserted offramp, but fortunately the mobile mechanic, who showed up the next morning, happened to have a 'vintage' scanner that fit and could read the coaches error codes.  Mobile RV tech's with the appropriate scanner are a rare breed in my area, so I'm reaching out here.  
Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have the DDEC II unit that runs the engine? If so you should invest in the Silverleaf VMSPc to help with diagnostics. Otherwise, it is a guess.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We are having similar issues. First time was about 1 am between Needles & Blythe CA on a 2 lane. Immediately pulled off on a leaning shoulder when lights came on. Checked temps with an IR gun. All were OK. Silverleaf showed low coolant level code as well as several real goofy codes like #18 injector problem etc. from about 8 months prior that I was completely unaware of. I thought low coolant level might have been because we were on a substantial slope, but sensor would have been on low side not high side of radiator tank. Restarted after 20 min rest & it ran fine rest of night. It happened 2-3 more times showing low coolant level error. Replaced sensor & thought I had it taken care of. Wrong! Took coach to S&S in El Paso. Tech downloaded DDEC to their system. Only errors showing were low coolant level errors. None of the goofy stuff on my Silverleaf. They suspect a problem in the harness but I was short on tome to get it done so we headed to CA for work. Has happened 3-4 more times, but now I just hit over-ride switch on dash & like magic everything resets & we continue on without missing a beat. I have scheduled it to go in to S&S to get a new harness or another sensor as soon as we get back from CA.

(09-19-2016, 12:50 PM)ccjohnson Wrote:  We are having similar issues. First time was about 1 am between Needles & Blythe CA on a 2 lane.  Immediately pulled off on a leaning shoulder when lights came on. Checked temps with an IR gun. All were OK. Silverleaf showed low coolant level code as well as several real goofy codes like #18 injector problem etc. from about 8 months prior that I was completely unaware of. I thought low coolant level might have been because we were on a substantial slope, but sensor would have been on low side not high side of radiator tank. Restarted after 20 min rest & it ran fine rest of night. It happened 2-3 more times showing low coolant level error.  Replaced sensor & thought I had it taken care of. Wrong! Took coach to S&S in El Paso.  Tech downloaded DDEC to their system. Only errors showing were low coolant level errors.  None of the goofy stuff on my Silverleaf.  They suspect a problem in the harness but I was short on tome to get it done so we headed to CA for work.  Has happened 3-4 more times, but now I just hit over-ride switch on dash & like magic everything resets & we continue on without missing a beat.  I have scheduled it to go in to S&S to get a new harness or another sensor as soon as we get back from CA.

Did you replace the coolant level module or the temp sensor? It was a faulty coolant level module that caused the engine to shut down. Once I replaced it, I didn't have anymore problems - till now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-19-2016, 11:41 AM)Richard Wrote:  Do you have the DDEC II unit that runs the engine? If so you should invest in the Silverleaf VMSPc to help with diagnostics. Otherwise, it is a guess.

I think it has the DDEC II, but I'll have to check just to be sure now..

Wow! Now I'm confused! That is WAY different from what S&S sold me for coolant level sensor. Where is that located at? The one I replaced was on radiator tank on curb side toward engine compartment. The one I replaced looked more like a temp sensor now that you mention it.

(09-19-2016, 04:27 PM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Wow! Now I'm confused!  That is WAY different from what S&S sold me for coolant level sensor.  Where is that located at?  The one I replaced was on radiator tank on curb side toward engine compartment.  The one I replaced looked more like a temp sensor now that you mention it.

Mine is located on the passenger side next to the radiator. It connects to a 5 wire plug that is part of a wiring bundle, and I believe the wire that connects the temp sensor is part of the same wire bundle. These Coolant Level Modules are available at most Freightliner Truck Parts Dept.