You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine Monitor Port / Wiring

I know a lot of you guys use the Silverleaf computer interface thingy to display engine data on a laptop. I love the idea of being able to display engine information wirelessly on a tablet device.

I am working with Ray Davis. He has built a similar / different way of doing exactly that. His box plugs into the maintenance port and then creates a network that your iDevice can talk to and display data. His system works on Prevosts and Wanderlodges, and I am trying to get it to work on my bus.

We are having trouble getting the interface box to talk on the engine bus.

Do any of you experts have information regarding engine monitoring of our coaches? Pinouts for the maintenance port? Protocol(s)? Any other information that might be helpful?

Thanks!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I simply use VMSpc and display it wirelessly on my iPad. VMSpc interfaced to cheap netbook and netbook displayed wirelssly to iPad using VNC lite. VMSpc product just plugged in and worked easily - sorry I know this does not help you with your current situation. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Bill if you go to the VMSPC website and download the manual. It might have what you are looking for.

Russ, I just set up VNC lite on my Ipad and netbook. Took a bit of figuring but got it working out. Really neat and gives me a better mounting option. Where do you have your Ipad mounted?
I may just set it on the dash like Chester does.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Perhaps a little clarification would help. And if any of you have actually wired a VMSpc into your bus, your experience would be appreciated.

We ohmed out the diagnostic port under his ignition key, back to his VMS 230 unit. And according to the VMS connection diagram, the data pins there connected into the J1708 data pins on the VMS.

However, there was no J1708 traffic on those wires when we connected in. Bill then happened to pull up his VMS diagnostic page, which indicated that there were J1939 errors. This is a different protocol, which likely comes in on different wires (the VMS has inputs for both).

Now, I know that Bills coach may be different, in that it's CAT engine, rather than Detroit, but my gut feeling is telling me that the diagnostic connector to under the ignition key is not connected to the engine ECM, but perhaps to the transmission, which may speak the older protocol.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for the diagnostic connector by the key. Is there perhaps another diagnostic connector location?

The pinouts for that connector are identical to J1708 pinouts of vehicles back in the late 90's. However, his VMS showed J1939 errors, which leads me to believe there is either another diagnostic port, or the VMS is spliced into a different set of wires.

Thanks,
Ray

There might be another connector for the engine.
Mine is just under the dash to the right of the steering column.
I haven't found a transmission connector on my 1998.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The diagnostic connector on my 2001 is also next to the ignition key. I has only four wires which connect to the VMSpc and includes data from the transmission. I know this because I shortened the cable to about 6". If it would help, I can take a photo of the four pins in the connector. Otherwise, I suggest singing up as a member of Silverleaf and post the question on their forum if the VMS is of interest.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

On your VMSpc, are you able to tell whether you're getting J1708 messages, or J1939 messages? Bill only found this on his VMS in the diagnostics page, but it might be available elsewhere.

Out of curiousity, is yours a CAT engine, or Detroit?

Thanks!
Ray

(04-05-2013, 06:36 AM)folivier Wrote:  Russ, I just set up VNC lite on my Ipad and netbook. Took a bit of figuring but got it working out. Really neat and gives me a better mounting option. Where do you have your Ipad mounted?
I may just set it on the dash like Chester does.

Forest,

Good for you! I am not willing to cover my existing gauges - especially for the generator. So, anyway, I mounted the iPad just next to the backup monitor using a suction cup mount. Picture attached. Russ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I like that Russ! I have an Ipad mini that I am going to use....not sure where it will go.

As far as the question that started this thread. It seems to be a cabling issue. I tried a second cable to the maintenance port, and it started working.

I will report progress as I make it.

cheers,
bill
ps. The approach I am taking will eliminate the need for a PC. Simply an Ipad talking wirelessly to an interface box which monitors engine / transmission messages on the bus.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama