You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Basement door locked shut

I decided my easiest alternative was to drill through the lock, hoping that it would spin the screw that holds the assembly together out.  Used a 5/32" drill bit.  Less than one minute of drilling the screw spun out and the door was open.  The screw was still good so I reinstalled the lock without hooking up the electrical locking mechanism----don't need the battery bay to lock.

An autopsy showed that although the electric lock sounded like it was opening, it was not.  Why the key didn't work remains a mystery.  Next project is installing emergency pulls on the wires that operate the side locks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Excellent Steve. You have to get really close to see that the paint is even chipped. Glad you are back into the bay.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I think I saw a speck of dust....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good job... Thx for reporting back what worked!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

BTW, Those tumblers are standard rv locks. One of four keys fits them all. Take key and old tumbler to a locksmith and you can get an exact replacement l

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-23-2021, 03:22 PM)Richard Wrote:  BTW, Those tumblers are standard rv locks. One of four keys fits them all. Take key and old tumbler to a locksmith and you can get an exact replacement l
Richard,
Can you elaborate on this comment?  I have coach #385, no keys that seem to work, or the tumblers are all stiff and corroded, plus I have missing locks all together.  So, I am looking for a complete new set.  Also I cannot open the door for the antifreeze fill yet.  I guess I can use the drill trick mentioned in this thread.

This sight is great, most questions can be answered with a proper search.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

First squirt some penetrating oil into the locks. I have to do that every year or the key won’t open the lock.

Second the upward opening doors and the side swinging doors on our coach take different keys.

Third, for some reason all the RV locks take one of four keys. I can provide the numbers on my two keys tomorrow.

I will also take a pic of the coolant door key.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(10-28-2023, 04:28 PM)Richard Wrote:  First squirt some penetrating oil into the locks. I have to do that every year or the key won’t open the lock.

Second the upward opening doors and the side swinging doors on our coach take different keys.

Third, for some reason all the RV locks take one of four keys. I can provide the numbers on my two keys tomorrow.

That would be great.  I do still need to buy a few.  I am not sure where to buy, all of the locksmiths around me are mobile.

Thanks

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused

(10-30-2023, 01:14 PM)khgeisler Wrote:  
(10-28-2023, 04:28 PM)Richard Wrote:  First squirt some penetrating oil into the locks. I have to do that every year or the key won’t open the lock.

That would be great.  I do still need to buy a few.  I am not sure where to buy, all of the locksmiths around me are mobile.

Thanks

austinhardware.com

Brass key is coolant access door. Silver keys are bay doors.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad