You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cleaning up a battery bay

I used this por 15 when I stripped and rebuilt my basement. It uses a rust neutralizing primer then the coating. Its amazing stuff!! Ill never use anything else, especially where theres rust. One caution, dont get it on your skin!! I swear it will be there for a week!!
https://www.por15.com/mobile/POR-15-Rust...g_p_8.html
With the tray I would rebuild it. Clean the tracks and replace the bearings. If its too far gone replace I the whole tray. Just my 2 cents!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Rust was only surface and the tracks etc are all in excellent shape so really a cosmetic and preventative fix for me.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

(05-18-2014, 07:10 PM)Flick Wrote:  Finally got to this project this weekend. Took the old batteries to Interstate and bought two new ones. Scraped a bunch then used the Ace Hardware version of OSPHO. Painted everything up and then put the new batteries in. Looks great. 30 years of grime in there.

Speaking of that last summer I had a bay door the hinge was shot on and it would not close all of the way. The hinge just grinded on 30 years of dirt in it. Clarke and Tom spent a day and swapped it out. Today I was about to order another hinge for a bay door that also crunched and hit on the bottom and would not close. The I started to think maybe I should try and blast the crud out of the hinge and get it to work and see if that somehow fix things. So I drilled the rivets out to take the door off and then blasted the hinge from every angle until it ran smooth and had the full range of motion. WD40'd it and then rehung it and tada! Works like a champ. No new hinge. I have a couple more I will try this on. There is so much dirt in the hinges it actually displaces the hinges and then the doors don't close well. Easy fix. What's that you always say Tom think simple first?

Todd, would love to see some pix of the result!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I had a Battery Explode a few years ago, mt trying to hijack this thread but Baking Soda is a great way to start cleaning up a Battery Bay...I want to see pics as well!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Ya sorry did not even think about it as I went from project to project and then ran it out into storage for the week. I will get pics the next time I have it out for sure.

Steve what caused the battery to explode?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Flick, To the best of my knowledge they were Discharged and then they Froze. I then tried to start the Coach and BOOM! I attended a seminar that was put on by Interstate Batteries and that is what made me put 2+2 together.
Here is a previous post:
http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Battery-ca...hlight=AGM

***PS... he did state that AGM Batteries do not suffer from this same issue.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I wasn't so lucky when I emptied the bay, it was almost rusted thru. I cleaned everything and applied a good layer of rust proofing and then made a new insert to strengthen the bottom. painted everything with special rustoleum.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Looks great Larry! !

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Fantastic. Yes Larry mine was purely cosmetic so nothing compared to yours.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

There is a great product that could also help with that issue, POR15. It converts the rust and they also sell a mat that would help to laminate that area.
http://www.por15.com/