You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler problems

Just got the muffler and this is what it looks like.
Thanks, Chester I plan to install the muffler first then the tip. The muffler will be ready tomorrow and the tip will hopefully be here Friday. After I finish this the Newell will be second stage. In the spring I work on my house. I own a two story 1899 house and it needs painting. I do sections of it at a time and this is the year for the front. It is sort of like the Newell in that it needs something all the time. When it is raining I will work on the Newell or maybe something else my wife has plans for me. She comes first which I'm sure all of you know.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
Two questions: When you get the new tip from Newell can you post a picture? You said that Kelly Truck Parts could get a new muffler for around $300. Since Newell sells a replacement muffler for $869.56, did you follow up on whether KTP actually does have access to a Walker direct replacement muffler?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

No I did not, and don't know if the employee really knows what he is talking about. He just looked at the muffler and said probably about $300.00 or $350.00. I looked at Walkers web sight and did not find our muffler. Since my muffler was in pretty good shape I decided to get it welded and go with it for several more years. If one can buy one from Newell, someone is making them.
The tip I ordered from Newell was the correct tip. It is good looking and made of heavy metal. But the flat end was not flat, it was round. Why I don't know. As we all know that will not work since the rear end of the coach is low. After several days of thinking about how to flatten the end without messing up the tip I decided to use a wood vice on my woodworking bench. I used to have a bottle jack press back when I restored old cars as a hobby and I thought at one time finding someone who owned one of those. Anyway the wood vice worked great and didn't damage the finish. I'm glad that is finished and I can now go on to other things.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The one Newell sells is manufactured by Riker Products.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve I did not attach the best photo. Here are two more. If I could not have saved the old muffler I would have gone to a resonator. I feel one could install all new pipe and a resonator for under $400.00 or less not counting the tip unless you fabricate your own tip. The resonator I looked at are 5"in and 5" out. The present hangers will not work and new one fabricated with possible welding. The in and out of the oval muffler on it now are on the left side and this makes the hangers more to the right toward the engine.        

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Looks good!!!!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

you did a really nice job. i chose to use the downpipe on mine. i think it was like 20 bucks ro something. i had to cut it to length. i wanted the downpipe so the exhaust wouldnt shoot straight at the car when it is being towed.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, I pull a jeep and a jeep doesn't care. I like the looks of a down pipe and the price, but they can make dust.
I don't think I really changed the old tip before I needed to.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

My muffler tip seems to be different from those posted on this thread. The tip has fins which directed all of the exhaust toward my tow bar and the front of my car. I almost melted the cables and got black smoke residue all over my car. To turn the tip around so that the exhaust went to the center line on the highway, I had to trim some of the fiberglass to the left of the tip. If anyone is interested, I have attached a photo of the final solution.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, those fins are on later models. We don't have fins. Our exhaust is just wide open and goes where it pleases.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot