You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Body Shop

Do you have any pics of your old Newell Jimmy? Id love to see some. Sounds like you restored one?
I wouldnt be afraid to reskin one, might be a job taking the old ones off but probably worth it in the end. It would be the skin above the floor, I was thinking one continuous sheet on each side and like Jon says attach it with the sticky tape like they use on the new Newells and also sikaflex Newell also uses. The windows should come out anyway for painting purposes and also to reseal them.
Should be able to just sand where needed, acid etch, seal and paint. I would think messing around with replacing and sanding around all the rivets, fixing imperfections etc would be just as time consuming if not more so, and in the end what would be better? I am thinking out loud here and I am no expert but I have messed around with my share of old vehicles etc and sometimes its better to just trash the old and start with new stuff rather than try to repair what is there. Just tossing around ideas and options here.
I really dont have a pile of money into this coach so far and would like to do it right.
I would appreciate any input and ideas.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Before our engine bit the dust and we dropped a ton of money into that, we were ate to pait ours. It was going to be done by a company here that does RV's and other large vehicles. The owner spent a lot of time looking ours over and was thinking high teens close to $20k. One thing he was going to do was strip it with a pressure washer that a fellow was brining in that shoots very fine plastic balls. He was convinced this was the only thing that could strip it all the way to the metal especially given all of the rivets and such. If I recall correctly it was going to be several coats of paint and then a clear coat.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Retro.
I'll PM you some photos of the good, bad n ugly. I live just south of the MO. border I could meet u some weekend and give you some input if you like.

Jimmy

I would like that,
I might be down in mo maybe in june, the coach is at my mechanics near joplin. I might even make the rally, probly not with the coach but just to check the progress. Maybe ill rent a yukon and stay in that! Lol

Love old schoolHeart

I have one qoute back from xtreme graphics for 19500k
I guess this is a rought quote as we didnt go over any details.

Love old schoolHeart

Jerry from Newell is supposed to call me monday to discuss painting

Love old schoolHeart