You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery cranknig amps.

Another question...
On my 96' Newell, with the Detroit series 60, there is a white plastic reservoir just above the alternator mounted on a metal upright support. There is a 3/8 or so line in at the top, and one on the bottom. The reservoir is empty, should it be?
If not, what do I add to it? Is it for the engine?

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Maybe your radiator overflow tank? Most of the series 60s have a grey plastic tank there but it might have been replaced.
If it is connected to your radiator cap then yes it should have coolant in it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Forest,
Half full? And what type coolant?

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Shamu,
Here is some DD documentation that will help you in selecting coolant and the associated maintenance with the system.

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Detroit-Diesel-Coolant

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hey Guys, I'm back on the battery bandwagon again, I did install 6 new Interstate house batteries. All working good again.
A fellow RV'er friend told me about a battery watering system he has on his. I believe it is a Flow Rite system that connects to 3 batteries at a time, replacing the stock caps with a manifold type cap that connects all the caps on the three batteries with a clear hose that is driven by a hand squeeze pump (similar to an outboard motor fuel prime pump) that is connected to a line that drops into a gallon of distilled water. With this system, you never over fill the batteries, spill anything, and refilling is a snap. He said the system was available at Camping World online, but the ones I saw there were qiute pricey, especially if you need (2) kits for (6) batteries, let alone the engine batteries. Anyone familiar and where to get a good deal on it?

Shamu406, last year I installed 12 golf cart batteries and installed centralized watering system as you describe. Not only does it make watering the batteries quick and easy, but the caps basically seal the batteries which should do away with gassing and corrosion. I had the same system on a previous motorhome. I purchased mine on eBay from Liquid Precisions, Inc. at a cost of $318. I added a small amount of water to mine yesterday and it took about two minutes. You can also install a plastic tank in the battery bay which will automatically add water as needed.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks Chester,
I guess no one else has had any experience with a battery watering system. It seems like everyone would want one to me.