You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A new issue.

I read through the thread on WOG forum. Is there any harm that can be done by injecting Marvelous Mysterious Oil into the air system?
My driver side front corner sometimes leaks down overnight. Also sometimes when leveling or airing up to ride height that corner is much slower than the others to come up. I was thinking of pulling off the air line supply to that 6-pack and injecting a small amount of MMO then airing back up & down a few times to get the MMO distributed throughout the solenoids. Think that could hurt the o-rings? Or the airbags themselves?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, I would be concerned about introducing oil to the air system, and in particular, the air springs. Getting grease on air springs is not good for them so I would think that would hold true for any petroleum product. While a small amount likely would not be aggressive, I still wouldn't want to risk it.

[On Edit]
Here is what Goodyear has to say Air Spring Failure Causes

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Forrest I've used a drum full of MMO over the years.. But not on rubber products. Read the composition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil. I suppose it's not a secret any more. I like the Lard part.

Jimmy

Todd,

Call me 817 223 2056. I don't know what the problem is but maybe I can help you figure it out.

You are going to need to make one (or better two) of the isolation valve setups that have been discussed earlier. Essentially, we are going to install a quarter turn ball valve between the six pack and the air bags. We are going to air up the coach and watch the pressures and coach behavior. Then we are going to move the isolator to between the six pack and the HCVs, rinse and repeat. After that we can start throwing parts at it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You're right Richard, I was just hoping to find an easier solution.
I made a valve setup last year when I was at Steve B's but never took the time to use it. Maybe when I get back to Louisiana in a couple weeks I'll pull it out.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Let me dogpile on Michaels comment. One, the ffect of MMO on the airbags AND the urethane seals in the solenoid is unknown. Second, if the solenoid is sticking due to friction between the plunger and sleeve, it would take a healthy dose of oil to get in there and do any good. Three, I had a sticking travel solenoid a once. When I took it apart the seal was all gooey and dissolved.mthe seal was the part that was sticking. Any oil would not have helped.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

So much for easy fixes.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

forest, if you had stayed another couple of weeks we could have fixed it here. i have one of those valve jigs

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have one also Tom, but I only have 1 good elbow left Smile
Leaving this morning for Paincourtville. We've decided to spend the summer in Colorado. August at MountainView in Creede and September at Wolf Creek Run in Pagosa Springs. So we'll be close.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337