You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacing house batteries

Ashley

That is a very difficult question to answer accurately. It depends on many factors. Batteries that are discharged below %50 will have significantly shorter life. How often they are discharged also plays a big role on the life span as well. Over charging, exposed temperatures freezing and over a 100 hundred degrees has dramatic impact on them as well. If all goes well you can get over 5 years, I have not experienced my house batteries last more than 3 years as we dry camp most of the time. The chassis batteries have last 5 years and then I would replace them as to not gave a problem.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

My experience concurs with Doug's. The house battery in the 77 coach lasted 8 years and was just a standard battery but didn't experience deep discharges and was recharged with a three stage charger. It was also regularly desulphated. The chassis batteries were located next to the engine compartment and those batteries lasted about 6 years, but again were deeply discharged only on rare occasions of cold weather and because of location experienced more heat.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I think the secret to long life is to never discharge to below 70%. I have always had auto gen start which stay on all the time which is set to start and charge. I also use power plus monitor on all banks. This has always work for me.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

AGM mostly have 3-5 year warranty

lead acid last longer but require attention every couple of months. I use wet batteries and have a watering system that feeds distilled water to a level determined by a float put under the cell caps. they are also much less in cost at about $125-200 for a wet, 8D battery/ I will continue to use them as I don't mind taking care of them and enjoy lonest life and cheapest initial cost. a watering system setup like I made cost about $300 in parts for 8 batteries. I like old style , but must say I am impressed with Forest's new setup of LI and may go that way in the distant future, but for now lead acid is my choice for hopefully 6+ years as prior

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border