You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore power good not transferring to coach

This maybe a long shot but simple to check. If you have shore power, do you have power at the transfer switch? If not you may have a defective power cord. Occasionally the plug burns/breaks at the plug... did it ever feel hot/warm?

Some transfer switches have a time delay and some can turn off the delay.. be careful with sparks..it'll rune your day... turn breakers off..B 4 the shock!

Jimmy

hi guys, i just talked to bill and i also just got off the phone with progressive industries, the maker of the ems-50b power management system.

i put all new power contactor relays in the coach about 5 years ago.

he is not getting any indicator lights on the control panel for the ems-50. the shore power comes from the shore, to the electric cord reel to the progressive industries to the transfer switch.

since there is no lights on the ems50, that means most likely there is no power getting to the ems-50. i told bill to go check the cable end plug that goes into the pedastal. it is most likely a bad neutral on the plug or in the cable.

bill, like we talked about.

1. check the 50 amp plug on the end of the cord. particularly the neutral, but all of them.
2. then take the cover off of the ems50 and carefully measure each of the legs.
3. if one is bad, then ohm out the cable from the ems50 to the plug on the end of the cable.

i really hope and doubt it is the ems50.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

you can see from the description of the ems50 that if there is a bad neutral, the indicator panel will not light and the box will not pass power to the coach

tom

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

. . . your source for RV electrical products

414-B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
919-462-8280
919-462-6132 fax

Home | Contact Us

EMS-HW50C

Surge Protector with Voltage Protection
and Remote Display
Hardwired for 50amp RV's

Retail: $431.00

Lifetime Warranty
5"W x 9½"L x 4½"H

Download PDF Manual Here

An additional remote display unit
is available for this unit.
Click on EMS-RDS for details and specifications.

High/Low Voltage Protection:
Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.
Time Delay for A/C Compressor:
If the AC power is interrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated. There are tow settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.
5-Mode Surge Protection:
This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580, 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.
Surge Indicator:
In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced.
Reverse Polarity Protection:
If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E-1.
Open Neutral Protection:
If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.
Open Ground Protection:
If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E-2 and power will not be allowed to the RV.
AC Frequency Protection:
If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low.
Accidental 240V Protection:
If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)
Remote Display:
Continuously scrolls all of the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.
Previous Error Code:
This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a previous error code, put a "P" in front of the "E" code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.
Bypass:
This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
Modular Design:
Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
Microprocessor Controlled:
The computer is driven by a state-of-the-art microprocessor that is programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.
Return to Top of Page

Tom, took a look at the plug and the neutral wire looked to be a little loose and also the casing for the plug is cracked. I tightened the neutral and all others and plugged back in and got the power readings L-1 120 , 0 A
L-2 120, 0A
60H
E-0

I downloaded the progressive industries manual and said that E-0 means it is operating normally... I still do not have power to the coach.

If I am getting these readings do I still need to take off the black box and measure voltage to the EMS? or should I go to the transfer box?

Michael, both contactors are in the up position so I tried to hold one down and I still had no power...

What next guys...I am at the internet place so magic jack will work?

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

I would open the transfer box and confirm that I had power at the wires coming in from the Progressive Industries. If you do, and holding down the contactor that the wires coming in from the Progressive Industries does not result in power going out you either have a loose wire at the contactor or a bad contactor or a bad connection leaving the contactor.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

agree with michael. i just talked bill through doing that. he at least now has a car to drive the .5 mile to where his phone works.

for those following this, just remember to break the troubleshooting into small pieces. start where it works and work your way back.

i told him to first check and see if all of that might have tripped his main breaker in the panel in the coach. then go check where michael said.

tom

bill, a statement of the obvious, but hopefully you have the shore power/generator switch above the driver in the off position and you have big current things off (like air con) and hot water heater off when you apply power. all of that at once could trip the mian breaker.

tom

Is there a cable reel?

Jimmy

yes, but it is BEFORE the power management system, so it is ok.

tom

I am a little hesitant to offer this suggestion, but if the culprit is in the transfer switch, and Bill doesn't have a working gernerator, he would wire around the switch,. Of course he would need to take the proper precautions and confirm zero voltage before touching anything. He could hardwire into the breaker box from the incoming cable.

At least it would provide AC to Heather and the boys.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )