You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore power good not transferring to coach

Gurus, traced wires coming from EMS system into the transfer box and got o voltage on red and black so no power coming from ems...still have reading on ems meter saying 120 coming in both legs... I'm going to bed and going to tackle this again in the morning.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

If the EMS shows power coming in and no neutral issue and there is no power going out of the EMS, that only leaves the EMS.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

call the ems maker. they are very helpful.

i believe it has a lifetime warranty, but dont know for sure.

maybe there is some kind of reset that can be done.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill if you have the manual I believe there is a way to bypass the ems using an included wire.
this is from the manual: "Bypass
Enclosed blue jumper wire allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protector portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled."

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

wait till morning though.....ha

tom

Culprit is black box EMS... power in but not out...there is a relay inside the black box and it is in the up position and when depressed I can get 240 volts. There is no reset but there are two circuit boards that seem to be in working order. I will contact EMS and discuss options but for now I just cut a bolt to fit in the relay and depress the contactor...I realize I have no surge protection but at least we have shore power. Thanks for talking me thru the steps to get to the root. I am learning so much from you all.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

bill, great find. like i said, just break things into small pieces and you can always find the problem.

let us know what progressive dynamics says. they are very helpful folks

tom

Tom, just taking the steps like you guided me helped...I feel more comfortable taking things apart and figuring out how they work...I also realize I should have bought a voltmeter with a clamp...darn, need three hands to get all the readings (lol). Spent the rest of the day visiting a former Secretary of the Army in the Nixon Administration named Froehlke... 91 yrs old and he is sharp as a tack...loved hearing his stories about the Chinese from back then...Had a late lunch with him and then it was cocktails...so I guess he liked having our attention. Am posting a couple of pics of the inside of the black EMS box...what actuates the relay? I'm looking forward to what EMS says is the fix. Is it a bad relay? or does one of the boards control the switch? I know think I could install one of these things but I definitely need to get a better wire stripping tool for the bigger guage wire...any suggestions?

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

for the large diameter wire i just use a knife. you just need to talk to progressive dynamics and they will tell you what to do

glad you have power

cool about the former army secretary. that was a turbulent time and the contribution of the military then i believe is greatly under appreciated.

say hi to the cornfields for me

tom

We can sympathize and share our woes with some park campground power issues. We are currently plugged into the site next to us because our site would not draw enough amps to power one AC. It was probably, according to several tests, an open ground or a poor ground and even when the park staff worked hard to install a new ground it might have been in their receptacle or at least that was my conclusion as I have a new plug on the end of my power cord. We had the same issue at the Ozarks rally! Seems that Newells, being all electric, are somewhat more demanding of older park electrical installations than they are capable of handling. That plus the numerous variable in electrical connections, relays, transfer switches, surge guards and the rest make for an interesting collage. I also talked to Newell during the latest fiasco and they said that 9 times out of 10, if your generator, pure source of power, makes everything work, it's usually a park issue.

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com