You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How do house batteries charge when just the engine is running

Michael ,my merge switch said use only when plugged in. I've never used it going down the road. So as Richard and Chester said it charges both. It's all too complicated for a stupid guy like me. Thanks

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

On mine, I don't have to turn the merge switch on when the engine is running. There are two wires to activate it. One is from the switch on the dash. The other is a wire from the alternator so if the alternator is putting out voltage, the merge solenoid is activated automatically.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Todd here are two pictures of my rear electrical panel. I believe the solenoid in the lower left of the picture is the merge solenoid.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Everyone is discussing merge solenoid which I think should not be needed when driving down the highway. It is basically an emergency switch to connect the two battery banks to start the engine when the engine batteries are down. In my coach the isolator is located in the electrical compartment which opens from the back and is located just above the merge solenoid. It is much bigger than the the merge solenoid and all motorhomes that I have owned have one. It is the device that allocates charge to the house and engine batteries. I will take and post a photo.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Clarke does your coach have an isolator? I dont have anything like that on mine, I have never really fully understood how this system works, any other input would be appreciated. On the dash is a 3 position switch on off on. The solonoid that connects the two batt cables from either side has one wire that when is energized connects the two together to "merge" the engine side batts with the coach side. So does it matter if the switch is on either position? Does it do the same thing? So with these older coaches with no isolator in order to charge the coach batts with the engine running the merge switch should be in either on position? Please correct me if I am wrong, this is how I understand it works.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

All six coaches I have owned had an isolator. Attached is a photo showing the isolator above the little merge solenoid. Hope this helps.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I had an isolater in the 74' ... probably wasn't original. I also had the merge battery setup. The other is a 300 amp fuse...

Jimmy

Chester, that is exactly what I am thinking. And if I am correct if one is plugged in and if you want to charge the engine batteries, turn on the merge switch. So if the merge switch is off and you are plugged in only the house batteries are charged. Is this correct? Why the switch is on-off-on, I don't know, why not just on-off.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chester you are correct that to charge the engine batteries with the inverter/charger you turn on the merge switch. The reason it is an on-off-on switch is that one side fo the switch is hooked to the house batteries and one side to the engine batteries. With a single off-on switch if the batteries powering the solenoid were down the solenoid wouldn't work, if you turn the switch on and the meter for the engine batteries doesn't start increasing, turn the switch to the other on position and it will (unless the solenoid itself is damaged).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

That makes sense, good info here. Where can one buy ine of those isolators? Is there a part #?

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd