You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How do house batteries charge when just the engine is running

Todd , If your referring to the merge solenoid I got mine from Newell. Just disconnect the neg cable from the batts or turn the manual batt switch off.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If there are only merge solenoids doing the duty in the classic coaches, they must be of a very high quality. I would buy the best I could find. I understand that the merge solenoids used in later models are not adequate to carry the loads and Newell suggests changing every year and to carry a spare.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Just bought one for $57. Since the one Tom found was only $17on the web I guess that means I got the greater quality one or I am the greater fool.

So when I swap this out tomorrow evening I can simply use the manual off switch for the house and Chassis batteries and not electrocute myself right?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Jerry here in KC Missouri...1997 Newell single slide...Merge switch on dash...My coach is parked and plugged into 50amp all of the time when not on the road...I keep my merge switch on when parked at home all the time...I only turn it off after I have started the engine...I normally
have the merge switch on in the up position...I do this to keep both engine and house batteries charged while plugged in and engine not running...I am a total newell newbie...I know nothing...please advise...

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry the only issue with that is if you lose power the engine batteries will also discharge powering the inverter. Probably not a big deal since it's at your house but could strand you on the road. By the way, as soon as the engine starts the merge switch is energized regardless of your merge switch position

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Todd, do NOT depend on turning off the battery switches. Remove the negative battery terminal from the ground to the engine battery and from the ground to the house battery.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Got it thanks Michael.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Whenever I dry camp I always turn the disconnect off for the engine batteries, gives me peace of mind I will for sure have full batteries to start the engine. Actually I do that even when im plugged in or whenever I am not using the engine. If the merge switch does get left on or something happens to the charger the engine batteries are isolated.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Here is a post similar to this: http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Battery-te...-batteries
I added a Triklstart to my coach. This takes a small amount of power from the house batteries to keep the engine batteries charged. Works great and don't have to worry about the engine batteries going down when I'm parked, or overcharging them.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Below is a photo of a Echo-charge by Heart Interface that is similar to the one Forest posted about. It uses a small amount of current from the house batteries (which are charged when plugged in) to keep the chassis batteries charged (which are not charged when plugged in). Thus the merge switch being left on is avoided along with the limited risk of the house batteries dragging down the chassis batteries.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica