You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

actual amps used

L1 45
L2 37

No breaker tripped with everything going with all a/c's on High and at 60 degrees to run all the compressors at once. No dishwasher since we use it for storage, includes the double burner "Gag" and the ice maker release heater.. My shore power is a double 50 breaker . I could NOT run the Aqua hot electric with the a/c's as you probably already know, but when I turn off the a/c's and switch on the Aqua Hot electric the amp draw is much lower than with the 3 a/c's going.
I would go with the # 6 AWG

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

thank you all, that helped a bunch.

i also talked to a electrical PE in power and he explained it all to me. btw, you HAVE to run the same size neutral as the hots in 240v. in a balanced load situation, (L1 and L2 at the same draw), then there is no current through the neutral. if L1 and L2 is unbalanced, the differential between the 2 is what the neutral carries. so if one leg was at 50a and the other at 0, then the neutral is carrying 50a, thus the need for it to be the same. the ground can be one size lower as it will never carry 50a.

wiring sizing is using the NEC for 240v. that gives a #6/3 romex as meeting code. it is rated up to 90 degrees C for temp at load.

i bought a lot of romex today of different sizes and it is really pricey nowadays. i still have to buy the 6/3 and it is really pricey.

home depot and lowes seems to be the cheapest for it.

so it sounds like 90 ish amps would be worst case.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

OK , My NEC code chart says 55 amp @ 90 degrees calls for 8 AWG copper depending on distance of the run. That is at 86 degrees ambient. I guess your ambient temps may be higher so a larger wire size would certainly be warranted.
I would always follow local codes however. It never hurts to go larger but it gets difficult to get it to fit into the receptacle box. Thanks for the explanation on neutral size.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

the run is 125'

tom

Table http://www.cerrowire.com/voltage-drop-table Calculator also ....

Looks Like # 6 AWG will work for your application... # 4 would be better if you plan to really spin the meter on a regular basis...

Are you running this thru an underground conduit? I did, and used pulled wiring because of those darn critters in AZ that dig and eat wiring...

Jimmy

the wire calculators i used are all showing #6 for 125'. the wire i am using is 90 degrees C as well.

the voltage drop is right at 2% for that distance, within the 3% recommendation.

when sitting in the shop, i can not imagine running more than the 4 air cons and fridge and lights etc. it would only be when getting ready to go in the heat of the summer. and that would be less than 30 amps at 240.

the closer rv outlets will have no issue with 6/3. the 125' one is for my coach in the shop.

the outside one will only be 25' from the panel.

tom