You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air system frozen

I was comin to visit Steve, but my building plans got approved and it got too cold...I have an acute allergy to both work and temps below 50.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

How you are doing in getting this resolved? One of our drivers said chain law was in effect going over Raton pass yesterday. Get out of that cold as soon as you can!

The temp is 31 deg right now at noon. High temp should be around 3pm. I went to O'reilly's and got the air brake line anti freeze and will try it then.
I thought that I had this covered by my filtering system but I was mistaken. My pulls on my three tanks produced no moisture, the air dyer filter was new, my petcock on the tank in front of the rear wheels was dry. This anti freese is supposed to prevent this and rust so we will see. I had to go home for a week and arrived back in the middle of this artic blast. If I would have been here I would have cranked her up a couple of times a day, may not have helped.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Hi Steve-
I'm in similar situation...been in the 20's-teens for lows with much colder wind chills....warming up Wednesday!
My 12v is still working...eager to hear your results.
Sunday I replace plenum blower under sofa (has twin squirrel fans and 4 ducted outlets)...Tom gave me Amazon linky but I was lucky and found motor at local Napa warehouse on Sunday morning...loving me some Napa know how...
Will be posting image of box label...it was lower cost than mail order and same labeling on unit.

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

Yes, I will get image of box label tonight when I'm back at the coach....

I couldn't find it using NAPA's online parts search tool at their website; but I called the warehouse and they found it through their cross-reference parts books...yup some parts counters still have the books and parts people that can use them...and open 9-5 on Sunday.

Inside the NAPA box the motor label was a twin to the VDO PM393 that Tom got from Amazon...the shafts are about 1/4" longer but doesn't cause an issue with fans or housing.

Napa part # 655-1034 $42.99
It is 3 speed and I wired the low and the high

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

I won't go into a thermodynamics lecture, I promise. However, the least bit of moisture in compressed air will condense any where there is a small leak, orifice, or flow through a small jet. It's because the air cools when it flows through a jet. This means that in really cool temps, ice will form at these places in your air lines even if your tanks are dry. Our dryer systems don't come close to the dryer systems that industrial facilities use for knocking the water out of air.

As country as it may look, I really will keep Rudy's suggestion about wrapping a skirt around the bottom of the coach as an idea if I am ever in teens and single digits for any period of time.

Good luck with the antifreeze.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The air brake antifreeze did the trick. I put it in the hose coming off the engine compressor. I let it run about 15 minutes to no avail and the pop off valve popping away.. I added a few more ounces and let it sit about 10 minutes and it built air upon starting.
All of the fifth wheels have skirting here but none of the full time motorhomes.

Thanks for all the sage advice. I never thought I would enjoy a toilet flush this much. I had been sneaking over to the campground restrooms as I didn't won't anyone to know my mighty Newell wouldn't function.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

While you have air flowing, you may want to repeat the process now to get the alcohol distributed in the system. And or, do the same thing at the aux compressor up front.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good idea, I think I'll add at both ends.
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458