You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aux air compressor while storing

Yes, the 12v compressor is designed to provide air to the slide seals, toilet, and inside air doors. As long as the batteries are charged....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The short answer in my opinion is yes. The other thing to consider is the longevity of the 12v vs the 110 compressor. I honestly don't know what kind of duty the 12v compressor is rate for. On the other hand the 12v only supplies the potties, bladders, and doors so in theory the leak rate should be less and therefore the compressor would cycle less. In my case the 12v cycled about the same frequency as the 110. Since the 12v was noisier in the bedroom than the 110, I went back to the 110

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Over the last 13 years of owning 3 Newell I have install two 110 and three 12 volts. The 12 v have been used only about 1/10 as much as the 110.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Am I charging both sets of batteries when plugged into 50 amp with merge switch off?
Thanks and a Happy Thanks Giving to all...Jer

Am I charging both sets of batteries when plugged into 50 amp with merge switch off?

No. the battery banks are intentionally disconnected.

Unless, you have an Echo charger, or some other device that will route current from the house batteries to the chassis batteries. The echo charger is will not drain current from the engine to the house batteries, it will only route current from the house to the engine if the voltage is above a certain level.

There are other similar setups, others may comment on what they have.

Thanks Ron,

That is good data, and supports what I guessed about the 12V pump. I always thought of it as either a backup for the potties, or for use when dry camping.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

For the past 7 years, I have used the Trik-L-Start and hopefully tomorrow will change out the Trik-L-Start to the Amp-L-Start (charges at a higher rate) unit. Does basically the same thing as the Echo Charger. Both the Echo Charger and the Amp-L-Start are 15 amp while the Trik-L-Start is only 5 amps. The

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

OK...Plugged in with merge switch off what batteries am I charging?

have reread answers...I am charging my house batteries and then my engine batteries if and
when my house batteries have reached a full charge and it is then bledding over into my engine batteries? Is this correct? So if my 12 v system (compressor) is in the constant on position then
depending on that and other 12 v draw (overhead lights Etc) my house batteries may not ever receive a full charge...Am I following or am I totally in the dark?

Jerry,

Let's assume that you do not have an echo charger or trickle charger. You should look to see because it makes a big difference in the answer.

If you leave the merge switch on, you will be charging both house and engine batteries. The charger doesn't know what it is connected to, and will try to charge all batteries equally. The issue is that if you loose power, or forget to turn the merge switch off the next time you travel, you will be drawing on both your house and engine batteries. You can kill the engine batteries this way and leave you stranded.

If you leave the merge switch off, you will be charging the house batteries only.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

My RULE IS

Merge on when parked for a few days and off whenever moving on down the road

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard