You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ski trip

I have done winter trips to Tiger Run and Michigan with both the 89 and 96 on ski and snowmobile trips and both perform great. The last trip was in the 96 to Gaylor snowmobiling last year with 9 adults before I sold to Jeff. Drain your air tanks and you might want to consider some air line antifreeze in the lines if it really cold. I starter back in 05 and have travel every winter with little problems. The coaches are real good in the snow and I have pass the snow plows in some situations. If in a blizzard condition just stop and wait for the plows and never go if chain are required. The lowest temp I have seen was -20 and still stayed warm in the coach. Keep your fuel tank full and fill water and dump sewer in the warm part of the day. Do not leave water and sewer hooked up. Winter camping in fun in a Newell. Hi Marc give me a call if I can help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I know i have an old Newell but i just cant bring myself to take her out in the winter. Just too much time money and effort to get it where it is to take a chance getting in a wreck or full of salt etc. When i go in the coverall where i have it stored i have to put sunglasses on, she shines!!
I can't just go out and buy another one of mine!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I tend to think like you , Retro...My primary business has me on snowy, icy roads A LOT by necessity during the winter months. I have never been keen on winter sports etc. so I'm happy to let the Newell rest inside. I do have a snowmobile though....It's a Kubota B3030 4WD/ with a cab A/C , heat, and stereo. The front loader and rear 3 point blade are put to good use clearing my driveway and parking lot!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We are buying a Newell specifically to go skiing. Well the wife ski's I went to the dark side and Snowboard.
Having been skiing in the early '70's in a home built housecar, then in our own Alpine in the early 2000's that we took to CO (including Tiger Run - nice place to stay!). There is nothing nicer than walking that short distance in the parking lot to a nice warm 'Home' as the everyone else trudges by. A further 'bene' is pulling out the BBQ on spring days and enjoying sun and warm smiles from passerby - and sharing of course!
Being a former private pilot with an IFR cert. I only flew in good weather, and in the comfort of a nice Coach watching the snow fall while sipping warm adult beverages seems kind of optimal to me. Chains will be carried for an emergency and a good 4WD toad is always an asset.
Great advice was shared on another post about draining airlines, though it wasn't a problem for the previously mentioned 'housecar' that was built on a Freightliner 40' drill rig chassis. One other thing we did (we didn't have a block heater) was place a  high wattage trouble lamp in the engine bay and tape cardboard over all the vents to limit wind chill.

Former Alpine 38 Coach Owner 2000-06
Will purchase a Newelll later this year
J80 Racing sailboat
Summer Sail, Winter Ski

i know steve magowan and ron skeen have both done a ton of winter newelling.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(03-13-2016, 07:54 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i know steve magowan and ron skeen have both done a ton of winter newelling.  

tom

Yes, I have been in -20 below both in CO and MI in my 89 and 96. I have stayed in Breckenridge CO at Tiger Run Resort sking and snowmobiling and they do a good job keeping the park open. Have been to Gaylord MI in both coaches also snowmobiling. The main problem is water in the air system. You need to keep all air tank bled of water before going. I have also put air line antifreeze in the system. The heat in the basement bays has alway been adequate in all of my situations. Don't leave hose hook up. Fill and empty tanks and keep hoses inside. The coaches always drove and handle find in the snow. I would never put chains on and just waited till the road were passable. Wintertime has alway been one of my favorite season. Travel safe!

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Thanks Ron.
I cut and pasted your advice in my Winter Notes to review before each trip.
Steve

Former Alpine 38 Coach Owner 2000-06
Will purchase a Newelll later this year
J80 Racing sailboat
Summer Sail, Winter Ski

Camping world makes heated hoses (we bought two 15' lengths this year) and they work fine so you don't have to get out in the freezing cold and disconnect. I have a full set of chains in a bag in my warehouse in TX - had them 5 years at least while we were up in Idaho Springs and Evergreen living there. Never used them. The tunnel and I70 are maintained very well and the State keeps it clear unless it is blizzarding... We did get stuck in Eisenhower tunnel in the car once but that's another story...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian, where in Evergreen. I live in Hiwan Hills, Buchanan Street, from 1980 to 1994. Then retired to Mexico.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester you don't know the Dearingers my chance? A good friend of mine, Bob Dearinger lived there during that time.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff