You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Relays

Looking for Manufacture & Part Numbers for Taillight Relays!!
I am helping Nancy with her Tail/Brake/Turn Lights. We have identified a Relay that is lazy and then fails after use. So we then goes down to the local parts store and orders (or though so) a couple of new Relays, problem is they have not been able to deliver them.
We have an '82 and they have a '95 and both Coaches have the same Relays and here is what her's look like........
    and any help finding with these would helpful.
thanks in advance

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

you cannot buy these older metal can relays. there is nothing special about them. they are standard relays.

newell likes using alot of dual 87 relays. that will have 5 pins.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Steve, I had my right turn signal relay go bad a couple of years ago. I had to replace it with something comparable. I got it at O'Reilly's I think. I'll go outside and open up the electrical panel later today and get the details on it. I think it is a 5 pin one. Was easy to install, and works fine. The new ones are a lot smaller.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks, the guy at Parker Auto stated that they could get them but this may explain why he hasn't been able to produce them. They supposedly were a Starter Relay and I was trying to stay with these because the have lasted so long.
Thanks for the input;

Tom do you know if they are using 20,30 or 40 Amp Relays?

I'll wait for your numbers Clarke.

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

i tend to buy my relays from grainger where i can get name brand ones.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Checked with parker auto this am. The relays were in stock that I required but were sent back to their supplier for some reason. They have been reordered and one will be in stock for pickup tomorrow. If it is the correct relay I will post the number for others. Mike #372

I think I ordered them from napa.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Here is a picture of the relay with numbers on side.....quite small compared to the original.  Works great!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Thanks Clarke but that is not one of the Dual 87 Pin Relays. Those have 5 Pins although have a Normally Open and Normally Closed Contacts. The current Wiring uses the #87 Terminals to move the 12 Volts DC (+) to the next Relay and uses no Normally Closed Contacts. The conversion will be much easier for them to make if the wiring doesn't need to be changed.
PS; I have used those Relays in the past on other applications. There is a Plug for them that cleans up the wiring and makes replacing them much easier. I have seen them fail in the past but they are not that expensive and easy to find. Their problem was intermittent so I was wanting to stick with something that lasts and 20-30 years speaks for itself but everything changes including replacement parts.

To close I made wiring Diagrams and Schematic for Mike #372. Since there was only one bad relay and a poor ground we were able to get him up for now. I was able to switch the Back-Up Light Relay with the Turn that had the intermittent problem, since it didn't fail right away everything should work until they can get the new Relays.