You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Steering wheel "jerks"

That's right, Gene & Muriel Campbell's coach #473. Cressley called me back they do not have any of the restrictors, he said Mike said they didn't do much good any way. We are going to take i out this weekend, I will pay close attention to the water temp and the action at the wheel & let you know if that is for sure what it is. Thank you for all your input. Ken

Ok, We took a couple of hundred mile trip last weekend, and here is what I observed............ It will give a jerk most any time with the engine temp hot or just coming up to temp, I did not feel anything going down the road straight, and it did not do it on every turn but it would get my attention when in a turn and the wheel gives it a little sashay. I am wondering if it is the steering box ? does anyone have the part number for it ? Thanks for your input. Ken

Ken, when my steering wheel jerks it seem to be always to the left.  Sometimes more than other times.  As I have said before, after two years owning the coach I've just learn to live with it.  As long as it is not hurting anything I've got where I don't pay much attention to it anymore.  It would be nice if it was not there and I don't know why Newell does not have the part to repair it.  It seems to me if they had the part at one time they could get it again. 

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I suppose you have confirmed that everything else in the steering is okay... I found my steering box was loose once upon a time...torqued the bolts .. All was well...

Anyone know who makes the steering box? Maybe a valve sticking... Find a manual...

Just thinking again... Sorry...

Jimmy

There is enough age difference in our coaches that it is likely of little benefit but my 1992 uses a Ross Steering box. On the Ross, if the steering adjustment screw is adjusted too tight, it will tend to hang but that is not likely the issue you are seeing.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

http://bestindustrial.com/_pdffiles/CD%2...Manual.pdf
This will help identify.. Then we can find a manual. Some have poppet valves that may stick...

Jimmy

Ken, mine seems to jerk more on turns than going straight.  I think a little pressure on the wheel will make one feel it more.   I think what I would do is bring the coach up to operating Temp. while setting still.  Put the engine on fast idle and put a little left or right pressure  on the steering wheel and see what happens when the fan cut on.  I would open the back engine compartment and have someone watching the fan to let you know when it cut on, just in case you don't feel it.  I do think you need to have pressure on the steering wheel to feel it.  

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thanks again for this information, I will get back under there and identify my box, your information really helped Jimmy. Chappell I will try what you suggest this weekend, you are correct it is not a real big deal but if my wife ever drives the coach and it does that to her she will have a cow. Thanks again to all. This is a wonderful site !

I had a steering box leaking.
I looked for a new or reman box and after several attempts - could not find one due to it being a rare box.
I live in NC and found a place in Charlotte NC that rebuilt mine.
I took it off - took it to them on a Monday afternoon - picked it up Wednesday after lunch & I reinstalled it.
They rebuilt it for around $800.00
Carolina Powertrain 704-596-8611
A 3 day turn.
They were very helpful.
Ask for the Steering Box Shop, they may be able to answer questions .or help troubleshoot
If i can help more, let me know.

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576