You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

engine not cranking

When this happens to me, I merge the house batteries and the chassis batteries and then crank. You did not mention if you were merged or not. If there is a small non switched draw on chassis batteries, maybe they were a little drained.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

One thing to try when/if it happens again. Turn the key on and watch the voltage meter drop, then check the voltage at the battery terminals. If it is a wiring problem the battery voltage will be OK.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Check all ground terminals, then positive cables. Ended up being a flat spot on my starter.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

I've had corrosion inside battery cables. You could bend the cables and it would feel crunchy, not a smooth bend like a good cable would. Hope it works out. Tell Mary and Rudy and Carolyn hi from Cindy and I.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Will tell Rudy and Carolyn Hello.  Bill I did merge and did not make any difference.  I will check all ground and battery cables and everything else I can see that might make a difference.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I had check and tighten every ground and hot cable I could find and engine still not cranking after setting for several days so turned on the merge last night and this morning it cranked.  Drove it to A & E Hydraulics and Batteries in town and had them put a load test on them and one failed.  Specific gravity showed that it had two dead cells so replaced both batteries.  They were almost 5 years old and I do not know what kind of treatment they had before I bought the coach 2 and half years ago.  My six coach batteries were installed just before I bought the coach so those should be OK for awhile.  Hopefully this will take care of this problem.  The brand I replaced it with is Deka.  I have a JLG lift which has 8- 8C batteries and  the Deka brand has worked well on it.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

there are just a few battery manufactures that make almost all the batteries in the usa. Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls and East Penn.

they then label them for whoever.

i am not very brand loyal on batteries other than for who will take care of you if you have problems.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(09-14-2015, 04:24 PM)encantotom Wrote:  there are just a few battery manufactures that make almost all the batteries in the usa.  Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls and East Penn.  

they then label them for whoever.

i am not very brand loyal on batteries other than for who will take care of you if you have problems.  

tom
I agree Tom and I think Jonson Controls or East Penn Make Deka. I paid 168.00 per battery. 1425 cca and 440rc 1730 ca. These people have looked after me in the past.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Just changed out my Starting Batteries today. I agree with Tom! I shopped them and found 2 Sealed size 8D Starting Batteries for $300 total.
My House Batteries are TROJAN T105's and that charging system is completely separate from the starting system. This way I can have 2 different types for 2 different purposes.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

in the spring i got my two 8d starting batteries at napa for like 160 apiece.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH