You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lock punched a hole in front slide.

Russ,
I do know that the salon slide, with a 680 series system, does have a limit switch for "out". I believed that the "in" was also determined by another micro switch. I based this on when I had the bedroom slide apart, it had a micro switch for "in" and another for "out".

What you are relating is how I thought the system worked.  That electrical connections communicate with the control box through sensors & switches and the control box moves the sequence along electrically.  When I replaced a slide lock it had an electrical connection.  If the locking sequence was controlled by hydraulic pressure, why would it have an electrical connection?  Unless I have misunderstood, others seem to be saying that the system moves sequence by the change in hydraulic pressure.  This is why I have asked for a clarification.  I'm just trying to understand my HWH system.

Glad to hear that your slide problem appears to be solved.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Trying to tell you what I think someone else is saying is dangerous, but here I go.

The brain ( sequencer ) needs to "know" when it is appropriate to move to the next step in the sequence. There may be alternate way to do that besides the limit switch used on our system. I think it was suggested that by monitoring hydraulic pressure with a pressure switch it would be possible to send a signal to the sequencer when pressure spiked high due to the cylinders reaching end of travel. Just another way to sense position.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

That is what I was afraid might be the case.  Some times it takes a little time for my brain to make sense of info.  So the hydraulic pressure is what is sending the electrical signal to the control box through the pressure switch and not the switches & sensors?  If so what is the function of the micro switches and the electrical connection at the locks?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I believe the reed switch on each locking pin assembly provides both open and closed feedback to the brain. There are three wires, common, open, and closed I am assuming.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

For visualization purposes, here is a picture of a locking pin.  Any one who has HWH slides will have one of these at each end--1 slide 2 locking pins, 2 slides 4 locking pins, etc

This has been a very good discussion that I feel like I'm learning something.  Hopefully some one will clarify this question.  Is the 680 HWH system slide functions controlled exclusively by hydraulic pressure, controlled exclusively by electrical signals, or a combination of the two???

Thanks to all the contributors............................

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

In reading HWH material it appears that the functions that control the sequence of our slide rooms extending and retracting is a combination of electrical switches and the pressure switch.  See attached documentation.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi150010.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I think the hydraulic pressure switch is just a permissive for all functions of the sequence. In other words, on a properly operating system the pressure switch will make as soon as the extend/retract switch is pushed and will stay made through the entire sequence until the extend/retract switch is released. It is just there to allow the sequence to progress with normal hydraulic pressure. Should there be some failure of the hydraulic pump or low fluid and pressure cannot be built, the sequence would not proceed and none of the hydraulic solenoid would be actuated.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ,
I think we got it with a slight clarification.  When I first push the extend or retract button the motor starts and there is a slight delay before any movement.  I think this delay is the time it takes for the pump motor to start, pressurize the system & open the pressure switch.

Hopefully this thread has clarified how & why our slides operate & sequence the way they do.  It should help in any future troubleshooting.

Here is the HWH owners manual for the 680 series leveling system & slide rooms.  On page 18 is a picture of the slide room manifold and where each solenoid that controls each slide room function is located.  The solenoid styles have changed over the years, but they all function the same--they are interchangeable with each other.  Their function is determined by their position in the manifold and electrical connection. This manifold and solenoids are located in the first compartment on the driver's side.

Back to the original question of the locking pins punching a hole in the roof of the slide: Since there is nothing in the 680 series to identify where the top of the slide is, the locking pins deploy when the bottom is either fully out or fully in. If a locking pin punches a hole in the top of the slide, you need to determine why. It may come down to a slide room adjustment, the chassis of the coach being in a bind or something physically keeping the slide out of position.

Attached Files
.pdf Series 680 & slide rooms.pdf Size: 509.84 KB  Downloads: 16

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve and Russ for information you have provided. I assume the one hole that punched into the slide roof was caused by an unusual slope in the parking space that caused a misalignment when retracting the slide. I may have even accidentally retracted it while in level mode. In any event, I have filled the hole with an epoxy-steel compound and will keep an eye on it in the future to see if I have a slide alignment issue.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

I think I have learned that using the slides is not just a get it in travel mode and hold the switch operation. Maybe it should be, but at least with my coach I have decided to be much more careful when using the slides that I have been in the past.

I found an thick yard stick and blunted one end of it and installed a handle on the other end. I will use this to run up and down between the slide and the body to ensure proper clearance and seal deflation. Then I will additionally make incremental moves - stopping and going outside to check alignment again. Yes it will take longer, but the drive from Knoxville to Miami, OK takes a long time too!!!

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )