You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No pressure on Tag axle

Over the summer it could go days before the compressor would come on but just the last week it would come on about every 12 hrs.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

We have a grainger near by so I might just change out the pressure control valve.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

The compressor coming on every 12 hours is terrific!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

12 hours is really good. Although Michael was dead on with looking for a leak at the HCV, I doubt the HCV is the culprit with pressure staying up. The HCV supply is from the supply side. The supply side of the HCV does not tie into the sixpack and the HCV has pressure if there is pressure in the supply. The outlet of the HCV connects to the sixpack, and the sixpack connects to the air bags.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Not to sound stupid but what does HCV stand for?
So if the pressure stays up ok but when the key is on and in drive and all the pressure from the tag and drive dumps out
could this be a leaking pressure control valve?

I see (Height Control Valve) a senior moment.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

So this am the pressure on the tag has not changed. It is holding at 28 lbs.
Wouldn't this mean the control valve is ok?
And when the key is on and in gear that is when the solenoids are activated.
So if there is air releasing when it shouldn't wouldn't it be on the solenoid side?

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I've mentioned this before but it seems the solenoids are sensitive to contamination which can nick the seat or o-rings and cause leakage. That is why Tom spent so much time and effort in having the rebuild kits manufactured. And it could be intermittent if a foreign object just sits there on the seating surface then moves again at a later activation.
So (if I still had a coach) what I think could help would be a filter inline just before the 6-pack. Anyone up for trying that?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Brad remember that only two of the solenoids are active when the coach is in travel mode (turns on when you turn the ignition on), the other four solenoids can be active only when in level mode. If you are holding pressure in level mode, but not in travel mode I would be looking at the air system downstream of the travel solenoids.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have reread the post several times, and I am confused.

Is the original problem a suspicion that inadequate weight is on the tag?

Have you ever weighed the coach on truck scales? Would you be willing to do that before you start making adjustments or parts changes?

Are you willing to build an isolator , or leak detector, as outlined byy Steve Bare's excellent post http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...=air+leaks

Can you post pictures of your six pack arrangement. Micheal Day has been so kind to send me pics of his and discuss it's function. Before I could help any further, I would like to confirm that your setup is like his.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes Richard the original issue was the tag. The gage would show the pressure I always had it at but when coming to a stop the tire would chirp which it didn't do before. So it would seem that the system would look like it was working but may not have been. A couple days ago while parked for a few days I loosened and retightened the solenoid and tapped on them and to my surprise everything seems to be working fine. Even the air pressure dropping while traveling. I do have an Inficon leak detector but unless you are in a building or have a very still day it won't work as it picks up the smallest draft. Soapy water has picked up leaks the Inficon didn't.
I have posted a picture of the Solenoids on this thread, page 1.
Traveling now, will be at Camp Newell Today for Monday apt to resolve last summers issue then continue on to our winter spot in the desert at Imperial Dam Recreation area just north of Yuma AZ. The coach had been weighed a few years ago and all was well then.
Seems my last few air leaks were most likely related to debris in the system. As Foliver mentioned earlier, perhaps filters placed inline before these solenoids would help.....

Thanks for everyones help.
Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.