You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Clogged fuel filter

So on our way back from the north east to our winter spot north of yuma az.
While driving just before Albuquerque NM the coach was loosing power. I went through this when I first got the coach 10 years ago. I new it was the fuel filters. But these filters were changed just 5K miles before. I had extras good thing changed them out and all was well no black smoke under a load but before we got to Yuma it looked like the smoke was coming back. After arriving, using the gene it cranked over longer than normal so changed the fuel filter on it and started normal. Now a few weeks later the gene cranks a bit longer than normal. 

So Could I have a major issue with my fuel.
I use Bi-Bor additive and ALWAYS top off the tank before sitting for the season. 

By the way we had bad head winds and after filling up prior to realizing the plugged filters The mileage was in the 3"s worst ever, Maybe a combo of the wind and bad filters.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

What did the filter look like?

Algae is always a suspect.

Have you filled up anywhere along the way with fuel than contained biodiesel? Biodiesel can act as a solvent and pull junk out of the lines that normal diesel will not dissolve.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Black smoke makes me wonder about turbo boost,
Does your unit a gauge to show boost?

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

Richard: I didn't inspect the filter but i might still have it, I will tear it apart if I find it.
When filling I just go where the big rigs go. Could have got some biodiesel, is that becoming more common?

George: I have a pyrometer gauge showing turbo boost and temp and it does get lower as the filter gets plugged.

So wondering how best to tell if I need a fuel filtering job or a fuel filtering and tank cleaning. 
I have fuel water separators for the main engine and the gene, the bottom area used to be transparent and now black but I drain those a couple times a year and never got water but some black particles but not very much.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

You shouldn't have gotten bio at any of the big rig places.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Look at the bottom of your tank, there may be a sump with a drain fitting. If so you could drain some diesel from the sump, if the fitting isn't frozen.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes there is a drain in the bottom of the tank I will try to drain s little to see if there is any significant matter that comes out.

I see you down sized Forest. How do you like it? Are you full time?
Sometimes I think about it.The drive this season from north east to AZ was crazy especially east of the Mississippi Meaning the other drivers on the road. Had to hard stop 4 times leaving lots of rubber from the tag tires.

Thanks

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Not full timing, sold the Newell 3 years ago when we bought our retirement house here in Louisiana. Missed traveling so bought the smaller LazyDaze. Easy to drive, much simpler, but we do miss the Newell.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(11-20-2017, 07:20 PM)Richard Wrote:  You shouldn't have gotten bio at any of the big rig places.

Love's is usually about 20% bio in their diesel.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

I stay with flying J and pilot. I will have to check the place in Yuma which is under flying J but called Barney's and 78. They have to bays for rv's. I fill up there before I settle for the season and re top off before we head out in April. So I have a lot of their fuel in my tank.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.