You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tow Bar Advice

Guys when we bought our 84 coach this summer along with the many things it came with tucked in here and there was a RoadMaster tow bar. I forgot the model but it is one of the higher levels. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler I would like to set up to tow. The coach has a hutch and is wired for lights.

Local RV place wants $459 for baseplate and another $450 to install it. They also want $250 to wire the jeep for lights. I can find the baseplate online for $329 I think. So my questions? Should I have a pro do this or can I install it? Should I wire the lights or should I just buy the magnetic ones for $50 bucks and stick it on the jeep each time we tow? Any other pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I have installed the base plate on several cars without a problem. A new base plate should have good instructions. As to lights, I recently installed wireless LED lights. The transmitter mounts in the engine compartment, and the wireless lights attach by magnet. While they are not cheap, it beat the the expense and trouble to wire lights from the coach to the tow.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Todd:
Many of us are doing it this way. Pull the tail light assembly, drill a hole in the backside and install a bulb socket with an 1157 two element bulb. You can get this at any auto parts store. I used a 20 foot trailer lighting wiring kit. Plug it to the lights and run it to the front using tie wraps. I put my front plug in the engine bay coiled up when not using. It is a flat-4 connector. I got a 7 pin (back of coach) to flat four adapter at Walmart and I'm ready to roll. the instructions are all over the net.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Todd,
I wired up my HHR and installed the base plate myself. Go online and you can download the instructions for installing the Roadmaster base plate on your vehicle. The instructions are very complete with photos. Then you can decide if it is within your ability and tools.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Any suggestions where to buy these things guys?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

I'd just shop online. PPL usually has good prices and they are good to deal with.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

just bought the bracket there. very good price. Ok how about the wireless lights where do you recommend I look?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

(12-20-2012, 06:23 PM)Flick Wrote:  just bought the bracket there. very good price. Ok how about the wireless lights where do you recommend I look?

I have purchase 3 from tow mart http://www.towmart.com/22-inch-wireless-towing-light Matt Russo has one and I still have one that I carry as a spare. Good people to do business with and nice products. I also have a new Blue ox base plate BX 1979 that I just order and it did not fit my new 2008 ram 1500 quad cab. It fits a Ram Mega cab or sports.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

(12-20-2012, 08:59 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I have installed the base plate on several cars without a problem. A new base plate should have good instructions. As to lights, I recently installed wireless LED lights. The transmitter mounts in the engine compartment, and the wireless lights attach by magnet. While they are not cheap, it beat the the expense and trouble to wire lights from the coach to the tow.

Second the wireless light. This is easy....however I do still have wired for back-up. If someone lifts my lightbar......

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Problem though is that the light bar attaches with magnets. The jeep has a cloth top or a fiberglass top. The bumper has a spare tire on it. So I really do not know how to attach the bar. The one you guys recommended sounds great and is only $189 but not quite sure how to attach it to a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. Any suggestions would be great as I assume wiring it would be difficult.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia