You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Batteries

I began investigating my battery compartments. The one that's locked behind the right side rear wheels looks like crap. I am afraid to pull the battery slides out in case of shorting. I am not sure where these lead to. On the left rear engine compartment are two batteries that have the inverter battery temp monitor attached and on the right side engine compartment are another two batteries for what I believe are engine start. I would like to install 4 200amp LifePoe4 batteries in the baggage compartment and either repurpose the small existing battery compartment behind the right wheels for tools or such.

There is what appears to be a relay behind the wood cover next to the steering fluid reservoir. What's that for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

My '93 which was 39' had 2 8D batteries on each side of the engine, driver side was house, passenger side was for the engine start. I didn't have an additional set like yours (mine had propane heat and stove). But I did have a narrow compartment like where your other set is. The corrosion is typical of lead acid offgassing over years.
I repurposed my narrow compartment using this toolbox: http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=358
Might give you an idea of adding a toolbox.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Simon, ditto Forest! I do not have extra house batteries in the narrow bay behind the tag on my 1992. The roadside pair of batteries are my house batteries and my curbside pair of batteries are my chassis/engine start batteries.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The next question is how do I put lithiums for the house and keep the acid batteries for the engine?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Ready for some wire tracing? Basically you'll want to keep the 2 different types separate with the only combining being the charger using a B2B charger. It should be ok to keep the merge solenoid to add a short temporary burst to help start your engine but not to keep them combined.
Newell didn't follow a common design for the start/house batteries and you may find they are combined in different places. When Richard installed my Lithium system his wiring was different than mine was even being 1 year apart. Keep in mind I'm working off of my (failing) memory. Richard and others will have recent info on their systems.
You'll probably have to cut and repurpose your existing battery cables so might want to invest in a hydraulic crimper.
And any wrenches you use you might want to wrap the handles in layers of tape or shrink tubing to keep sparks away. It's amazing how quickly a Lithium will dump amps.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I am going to sound like a broken record.

You are contemplating installation of a very nice setup. Take the time to disconnect all the 12V cabling and ohm it out to find the other ends. Make yourself a schematic of how the system is wired. I finally did this and was surprised to find it was not wired as I had assumed for years. Take the time to label the ends of the cables. When you have that, it will be easy to design and wire your supersystem.

Don’t bother asking Newell for the schematic. And even if they handed it out, you do NOT know what may have been rewired since it left the factory.

Last thing, Victron has a monitor panel system that is amazing.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/f...post562118
https://shop.pkys.com/touch-50-gx

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. As I dig into this I am wondering if it is worth investing Lithium $$$$ into this coach. I agree, I must basically strip it all and design it from scratch. Really didn't want to go to a monster project but I think this is what it will end up with. Of course there's the generator's 12v charging too that needs to be found/identified so it can be isolated. Wondering if I should just put in AGM's and call it a day. Discovered another oil leak. It's disheartening. I removed the bed thinking I could unscrew the base and it would lead to the engine but it does not. No access as it is sealed. I sound like I am ranting.. Thought I could access more stuff from inside as well as see where the leaks are coming from.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

The lithium question is very dependent on how you plan to use the coach. If the use is pedestal to pedestal, then AGM may be you best bet. If you plan on boondocking very much and the coach is long term ownership, then lithium is the way to go.

Despite Battleborn’s marketing, lithium is NOT drop in in my opinion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, we do boondock and you are correct that Lithium is not drop and run unless it's on fire! Ultimately, we want to install solar on the roof.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon there are a few guys on the Foretravel forum who've added lots of solar and LiFePO4 with nice results. You might get good ideas by joining and looking around there. If you have basement air conditioners you have a large roof for solar.
Couple questions, do you have a propane fridge or residential? That alone takes about 100-120 amphours/day. Do you plan to run an air conditioner on battery alone or just use your generator when needed? That would be the largest usage and could get expensive quickly.
Sounds like a nice plan, nothing like being in a remote area and enjoying the quiet!
BTW LiFePO4 electrolyte does not burn, it might smoke but won't burn. I had a cell leak and out of curiosity tried to burn a few ounces of the electrolyte. Wouldn't want to breathe the smoke but no fire!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337