You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What is this relay

Jack,

Ok let’s do some more guessing….

Can you identify what triggers the relay? Key on? AC on? Radio on? Front TV on? Always on? It seems to me to defeat the purpose of a relay if it is always on.

If that doesn’t yield results…here is another thought (based on coach 653)

If that relay is above the driver’s seat…the wires that go to that area are routed on the left side of the overhead console. (Hidden behind the left wall) Pull the big receiver out and look for a panel in the floor of the console…under the receiver. You might be able to follow the wires to their destination. The “trap door” under the radio is camouflaged pretty well by the black felt.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Its on 24/7 or any time the coach is plugged into power. I will take that panel out and see were it goes. The tv doesn't power up, its an older flat screen and I haven't investigated that problem yet but you might be onto something there. The wires seem very small for 120vac so it can't be powering much.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Before you tear more things apart. Unplug the coach and start the gennie.

Do you still have 120V to the coil?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just read this, been a hard day restoring the front salon slide, I'll check it out first thing in the morning as you suggested. Thank you!

Gravette, Arkansas

I spoke to Robert at Newell yesterday. I had been chasing and electrical issue for weeks and he had it solved in about 10 min (bad relay). 

I also asked him about a clicking I heard over the drivers seat behind the trim. There’s a relay in there behind the inverter and slide controls and it would be clicking when I started the generator while still plugged in. 

It is a relay that switches the light indicating shore power or generator power…even though I don’t have a dedicated shore power light. 

Could this be what you are looking at?

Edit: including an image for reference.  It's a strange angle because I stuck my phone in the compartment cavity to get a better view of the relays.  The one farther away is the one to switch the source for the speakers between the big HT receiver and the dash head unit.  The close one is the 120v one that controls the 12v light for the generator.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Bingo!

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(11-07-2022, 06:29 AM)Richard Wrote:  My first guess is the little shore power light on the cockpit console.

I believe you mentioned this already.  LOL 

It took me a while to put 2 and 2 together.  The call with Robert sealed the deal in my case.  I hope this helps others.

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Morning Richard, I disconnected from shore power and started the coach, no 120v at the coil or feed of the relay. I also stripped out the old TV and all the stereo SAT from the dog house, nothing up there that relates to the color of wires going through the relay. Could it have something to do with the SAT dish? Anyone who wants a SAT dish and controls its theirs for free. We stream everything.

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,

In the cluster of warning lamps at your right knee, there is one labeled shore power. That relay is used to turn that lamp on.

If you are not getting the lamp when plugged in, the bulb is probably burned out.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I should have drank my coffee before typing, thanks to all for this information! Solved! Thanks everyone!

Gravette, Arkansas