You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coach will not build air pressure

(05-15-2023, 07:06 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  He would likely hear it but I had the line from the compressor to the filter blow out resulting in NO air pressure getting into the system. Of course the governor could cause that also without all the noise in the engine bay.

This right here is the winner folks!  So my mechanic figured it was the unloader valves.  Pulled them out and you can see from the pic below they were in rough shape.  Fired it up, no pressure.  Removed line at dryer as the fitting at the compressor was beyond tight and we figured it would be easier at dryer.  Had some air movement, but it would not make pressure.  He seemed stumped and figured maybe the compressor went bad, but seemed odd it would just quit all the sudden.  

So we’re standing there staring at that alternator that needs to come out and I said “you know, there was a guy on our forum that said one time he had a line break where it drapes over, but you couldn’t hear it with engine running.  Probably should have just inspected the line, but instead wrestled that bugger of a fitting off the top of the compressor.  Yep, makes all kinds of air and then we knew what you told me to look at two days ago!  

Fittings are a little wonky as he figured they were SAE, but they are not.  Two truck dealers were baffled anyone would use something other than SAE fittings on that air line and that is all they stocked but we’ll get that sorted out tomorrow and convert them over most likely.

Side note that on that 8 foot line the part you can see next to the engine is wrapped in hose, but the part you can’t see which drapes over the transmission had zero protection. This being a race coach and all I totally get the “rubbin is racing” mantra, but this was a bit much.

Thank the lord this happened when I was at home, really caught a break.  Can’t thank everyone here enough for the input and ideas.  This group is truly priceless.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Good news Brad, thank God that didn't happen rolling down the road. I would bet that size hole was making some noise back there.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Find another parts guy. That fitting is NPT on the end that goes into the compressor and 37 degree JIC on the hose end. Common as red dirt in the hydraulic world. Newell uses that setup for the air bags also.

So try NAPA, a Parker store, or common variety hydraulic hose supply to find the fitting.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )