You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1996 Newell

(07-10-2023, 01:59 PM)Richard Wrote:  I am not sure if your mechanic has tried the suggestion of airing up the six pack manifold.

He did report that putting shop air to the quick disconnect port in the rear did not air the coach OR show air pressure on the supply gauge. That was one of the clues that the PPV is stuck.

We are all willing to help. Please keep in mind that the armchair quarterbacks are no better than the detailed information provided.

I appreciate the pickle you are in. The coach will not raise, and hence will not travel.  You can help yourself tremendously by reading the first few pages of the HWH manual linked in the related posts on this subject and taking the time to watch the videos on the air system. This knowledge will help you as you troubleshoot the issue. Even if you find a tech willing to travel to the coach, the likelihood of them knowing the Newell air system is very slim. The point is you may need the knowledge on the air system to point them in the correct direction.

Have you read the two posts that your mechanic already made on your coach’s issue? Also keep in mind that the readers/responders have not been privy to any conversations between the two of you. Again we are glad to help, but the old adage garbage in = garbage out applies. The help is no better than the info supplied.

Thanks again. So the mechanic I called up in Chicago area went out to try and help me out today. His response was and I quote, " Hey man. I'm sorry but I cannot figure it out really what's going on with your bus. The best way tow this bus to dealership! It's crazy system too many electrical solenoids! I don't wanna spend your time and my time! Sorry" LOL : Big Grin   

I told him and even sent him a picture of the PPV valve and its location and he only spent time looking at the solenoids. Anyway maybe he wanted to "figure it out" himself but at least he didn't charge me the $200/hour. Anyway, I'm doing what you suggested and I've watched the videos on Newell Air Systems and read the HMW leveling manual to try and understand the systems as best I can. I'm ordering the PPV valve and I'm going to hire a mechanic while I'm there on Monday thru Wednesday next week to try and troubleshoot this thing myself. Thanks again and I'll let you know if you were right.

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

Wanted to thank everyone that posts here on Newell Gurus and especially those who’s expertise have been instrumental in providing so much advice, great information and ultimately helping make my wife and I new newell coach owners. We bought the 1996! The issue for the supply air was the PPV valve and, once installed, there was another leak in the front axel leveling valve which we also replaced. The coach still needs some “love”, new tires, airbags, rust repair, 6 new house batteries and generator repair ( generator runs but I’ve been told the fire suppression system is at fault.) we have a long way to go but will enjoy the ride. Anyway, I’m excited to learn and take this baby back home soon. Thank you!

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

Good outcome and welcome to the group.

Quick tutorial for a new member on finding info that may have already been posted.

The use of the operator AND in the search engine is crucial for finding the info sought.

For example if you simply typed engine fan speed into the search engine you will get every thread with engine, every thread with fan, and every thread with speed contained in the results.

However, if you will type engine AND fan AND speed into the search engine being careful to use all caps on AND, you will get results first that only contain all three words.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That is good to know. Thanks again !

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

Good news glad its all coming together for you, I live on this forum as our coach was not in good shape when we bought it but I am learning everyday but before Richard mentioned how to search I read years of posts trying to find answers to questions I had, not that is bad educational wise but AND is a important tool in your search, take it from a Newellbe.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Ole,
Congrats on purchasing your Newell!

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Good day, we are working on getting the coach ready for the road back home to Tampa. Our mechanic has said that the generator starts but shuts off as soon as the switch is let go. He’s been told it could be the fire suppression system. I’ve also read in here that it could be the solenoid that is “releasing” and doesn’t have the force to keep engaged. Is there anyway of determining which one it is?

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

You can make up a short jumper wire to jumper across the 2 wires on the plug for the fire supression system.

Thanks. We tried that and it didn’t work. I’m thinking it could be the solenoid.

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

The engine protection systems will also shut the engine down if NO oil pressure or High coolant temps. You might want to check the connections on the oil sensor and coolant sensor.

You should have a manual for the Kohler/Yanmar gen in the packet provided by Newell. If not shout out, and we can direct you to an online manual.

Here ya go. https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3008

Thanks Steve Bare.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )