You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tires for #490 TiresDirect.net

Wow, those look great. I'm reading between the line here a bit, but now that you've got the practice run done when are you gonna come do mine!?! Big Grin
Still trying to wrap my head around $35 mounting. Best "deal" I can get is $100/per mounted and balanced
Great job!

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

(09-24-2023, 07:06 PM)Jonestead Wrote:  Wow, those look great. I'm reading between the line here a bit, but now that you've got the practice run done when are you gonna come do mine!?! Big Grin
Still trying to wrap my head around $35 mounting. Best "deal" I can get is $100/per mounted and balanced
Great job!

Thanks Arch, not sure my back will handle doing another set of wheels anytime soon. Big Grin
Actually this time it was $20 to mount them, as I had loose wheels, no balancing. I will get them balanced on my brothers machine, and may get centramatics for the front too.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

So I am in the process of gettinh the rest of my older tires replaced on #423 (no slides) I am going with Load Range H 16 ply 11r24.5 for the 4 on the drive axle and already have that on the tag.

Question is What load range for the steer axle? NON-IFS coach with the 11r24.5 on the steer axle.

Thanks,

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

There was a higher rated steer tire made by Michelin but I cannot find it. My front axle weight is 5oolb over the limit and that is without water on board. I believe 7600lb is the max tire design for the 315 but there is another higher one at 8200lb. If I could find it, I would be putting those on the front. Did you get your coach weighed?

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Rick, originally, Newell used G rated tires on the drive and tag and recommended H rated 11R24.5 tires on the front. It is common that the front tires in the H rated 11R24.5 were right on the edge of being overloaded. Goodyear and Bridgestone historically made H Load Range 11R24.5 that gave good service. I ran Michelin 305/75R24.5 XZE2 or XZU3 since my front end was overloaded. I am back to the 11R24.5's since the Michelin 305/70R24.5's were not available the last time I needed tires (nationwide backorder). I believe the 305's were LR J and added about 2000 pounds of load carrying capacity to the front axle (about 1000 pounds per tire) since Newell indicated that our front axle load rating was tire limited. Those were rated for 16,540 pounds per axle. A quick internet search did not find any 305/75R24.5 tires in stock. I have seen some that were meant for off-road that had a max speed of 55 mph but that wouldn't work for Newells.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

So, looks like I am likely going for the Double coin RLB400 for the drive tires

https://www.doublecointires.com/tire/rlb400/

and the RT606+ for the steer axle

https://www.doublecointires.com/tire/rt606/

I already have the Double coin RR150

https://www.doublecointires.com/tire/rr150/

on the Tag due to the blowout last trip.

Loves has these in stock at most of the locations, so if I have an issue on the road, exact replacements are available.

All are 16 Ply H load range.

They look almost identical to the tires I have now and are the same 43.3" height

Opinions or thought?

Please, no generic debates on import tires vs. Michelins, etc. been through that already! Smile

Also, how needed is an alignment if I am showing no abnormal tire wear?

Thanks!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I have double coins I'm a year and a half in to them haven't had a problem yet but that's all that was available in Tucumcari New Mexico when they found out my tires were 16 years old Mitchell's.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I started my search for the J rated front steers. Seem they are out of stock or won't be made? Can a 1993 be converted to 22.5 tires if I change the wheels? I recall something about this era of hub that can't just accept anything but 24.5's

Thanks Michael for the info. 305/70R 24.5 has the capacity to handle the slightly overloaded front end of my coach. (If they can be found)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Thanks Jack! I had the same issue when I had the tag blowout/self destruct. Only thing I could get roadside in the middle of the late evening was Double Coins from loves.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

What about doing an alignment on the front NON IFS axle... is it needed with tire replacement?

Where to get it done?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller