You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Solder Sleeves

Solder Sleeves, do you use them?  I have not used solder sleeves although I know many do.  I do not trust the connection and cannot understand how you have any idea if the solder really joins with all of the wire strands?  I have soldered for many decades and have seen the good, bad and ugly with flux, cleanliness, wire types etc..  My recent experience seems to validate my opinion.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(09-25-2023, 07:55 AM)hypoxia Wrote:  Solder Sleeves, do you use them?  I have not used solder sleeves although I know many do.  I do not trust the connection and cannot understand how you have any idea if the solder really joins with all of the wire strands?  I have soldered for many decades and have seen the good, bad and ugly with flux, cleanliness, wire types etc..  My recent experience seems to validate my opinion.
Never tried them, but doubt I would. With my electrical background we do not solder anything. Only time I solder something is if it’s on a board or electronic type stuff. Everything else usually gets a mechanical crimp connection.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I use a Wirefy crimper made specifically for heat shrink butt connectors. Works great, doesn't tear the heat shrink tubing and gives a solid crimp.
https://wirefyshop.com/products/crimping...connectors

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I, too, am using a professional crimper with heat-shrink WATERPROOF ADHESIVE splices.

I’m an old-school soldering kinda guy, but like Jeff, don’t see the need on a coach’s wiring; especially with the high-quality waterproof connectors and pro crimping tool.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

If I were going to connect four wires like you have, I would use one of two products.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Innovation-P...430&sr=8-3

You would have to use two, since they are three port. Silicone grease in the hole to seal against moisture.

Or https://www.mcmaster.com/products/crimp-...ay-splice/

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I’ve used them repairing rodent chewed wiring under the hood of a car (and now have another car to repair similar damage). They actually work very well. The low temp solder flows well and provides a solid connection with heat shrink already in place. They do require more heat than one might imagine, but it’s less than a solder gun or iron will impart.

I will use them on my next repair tomorrow. IMHO, the tiny wires (22-24g) on these newer vehicles won’t stand up to the higher heat.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

(09-25-2023, 08:13 PM)arcticdude Wrote:  I’ve used them repairing rodent chewed wiring under the hood of a car (and now have another car to repair similar damage).  They actually work very well.  The low temp solder flows well and provides a solid connection with heat shrink already in place.  They do require more heat than one might imagine, but it’s less than a solder gun or iron will impart. 

I will use them on my next repair tomorrow.  IMHO, the tiny wires (22-24g) on these newer vehicles won’t stand up to the higher heat.
I cannot understand how they insure a fully soldered joint given the fact that that the wires are not necessarily clean or have flux to insure a solid connection.  I have seen so many poor connections that were exposed and visible.  I am really curious about this.  There are other questions such as mechanical etc., but I suppose the glue supplies that.  I have seen some Avionics Companies advertising them which to be honest shocks me since I spent some time in that field.  Does the FAA accept them?

Jim

I use them but I solder the wires together then slide the sleeve over and then heat shrink. Why your thinking? Because regular heat shrink doesn't have the seals at the ends that melts into the wire insulation. I don't depend on the solder that comes in them but sure like the clear heat shrink.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

The adhesive lined heat shrink is a blessing and a curse.  It's there to cover and protect a splice or connection which makes it nearly impossible to check that connection when a problem occurs.  On battery cables it will hide the corrosion growing inside.  In the case of my intermittent DEF Heater the only way to check it was cut the splice out and dissect it.  
3M Heat Shrink Adhesive Lined

Jim

I have been a fan boy of WAGO connectors https://www.wago.com/us/c/wire-splicing-connectors no failures yet. 

For crimp connectors I use Wirefy Heat Shrink Crimp Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07124B886?ref...tails&th=1.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.