You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hoping to own a mid 90s 45 soon

History time!!

Newell began the switch from the 8V92 to the Series 60 during the 1994 model year. I believe #363, a 1994 may have the first Newell with the Series 60 engine, although several 1995's had the 8V92. This is consistent with Newell building a single coach to see how a major change works out before making it a standard feature. I believe #376 was the last Newell with the 8V92 installed.

Newell took time to analyze the issues associated with slides and try to make a solid, useable slide out before introducing them near the end of the 1996 model run with coach #436. It was not an easy task and the fact that, although they do require maintenance, Newells with hundreds of thousands of miles and 30 years of age still work is a testament to the job they did. They do add weight, cost, complexity, and extra maintenance. Newell introduced flat-floor slides that were a marvel to behold at the time.

By comparison, Prevost didn't start building their buses with factory slides for conversion companies for many years after Newell did although some of their converters, such as Marathon, Featherlite, and American Carriage made their own slide-out conversions on non-slide Prevost shells. Now Prevost does offer slides from the factory. According to Featherlite, Prevost started offering factory flat floor slides in late 2016 https://www.featherlitecoaches.com/feath...out-shell/ That was almost 20 years after Newell offered flat-floor factory slides.

[/History off]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I am always amazed at Michael's Newell knowledge .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(02-27-2024, 05:29 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Before you believe that mileage i would ask for a silver leaf to be hooked up to the system and read what the DD computer says, take it from me we were lied to and told our coach had 65k miles and after we plugged in the silver leaf found out it had 160k miles on it, those speedos have been problematic since new.

[quote pid="63688" dateline="1709036971"]
Do many buyers have a coach inspected prior to purchase?  In the boating world getting a survey is almost commonplace but I'm unfamiliar for a coach but assume it exists; after all it's very similar to owning a nice older cruiser.  If I owned one for years I would be confident rolling the dice but with no real world experience I see how something big could be missed, especially when you're all excited about the purchase.  
[/quote]

WTB:  Mid 90's Newell 45 (Here to learn and explore at this point)
Current:  1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge SP36 
Past:  1979 Blue Bird Wanderlodge FC-33

Ben,

You may not find an inspector intimately familiar with Newell coaches, especially older ones. My opinion is if you take the time to read the entire section on what to consider when buying a used Newell combined with the experience you gained via the Wanderlodge ownership that you will do just fine with a self inspection. Of course if there is a guru nearby, they may be willing to go with you for an up close and personal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Like Richard said you should be up to snuff owning a Wanderlodge, I made a new friend who has a 40' Wanderlodge here in campground and the systems are little different but all have the same purposes.

Michael I really like these history lessons and that video got my wheels turning, notice the linear rails and bearings on the sides.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Hi Ben, we have owned a 1990 Wanderlodge and several others including our 1998 Newell. The Wanderlodge (to me) was more complicated and I loved working on it. The Newell is no slouch either and you have to remember that each coach is built to order so NONE of them are the same even if they look the same. There are standard systems but many custom systems. I loved the 8v92 but it was a smoky, oily thing and I usually work long gloves when I worked on it due to that - great engine though. I really like the S60 for the torque and HP… Our bus has no problems on long uphill runs. We have had some issues with the slides but nothing this group cannot figure out and we have done most repairs ourselves. Good luck in your search!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

If your engine was oily and smokey then something was wrong. Mine runs clear and dry. My last emissions test where they rev it to the governor limits showed 4% opacity from the 40% maximum allowed. I do know that on Wanderlodges there are bits on the engine what once a gasket or oring leaks, are next to impossible to reach and repair. It was one of the reasons I passed on a wanderlodge with the 8v92.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312