You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Small leak in Coolant expansion tank

On a recent trip, I  noticed that the coolant expansion tank (in the rear engine area) had a pin hole size leak (Coach #1517) The tank is aluminum.  I did a temporary fix using JB Weld and it is holding for now.  I checked with Newell and they no longer use the same tank.  A new one is $956 (Wow!) 

I am taking the coach there next month for the annual service and they seem pretty confident that trying to repair the leak by welding will work.

Has anyone else had this issue with their coach

Thanks

Ken & Karen
2015 Newell (Coach #1517)

Not sure what yours looks like but in the older coaches it was recommended to change out from plastic to stainless, here is what I did.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7342

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(03-21-2024, 04:05 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Not sure what yours looks like but in the older coaches it was recommended to change out from plastic to stainless, here is what I did.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=7342
Jack,

Thanks for the reply.  My tank is aluminum.   The pin hole leak is at the original weld point.  The tank itself is pretty heavy.  I would guess 5+ pounds

Ken & Karen

Your JB weld trick should work for sometime but if you want it fixed right then take if off and have someone tig weld it. If your close by Newell stop by our place and I'll do it for you.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(03-21-2024, 05:53 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Your JB weld trick should work for sometime but if you want it fixed right then take if off and have someone tig weld it. If your close by Newell stop by our place and I'll do it for you.
Jack,

How close to Miami, OK are you

Ken & Karen

He is about an hour away. We stopped at his beautiful home for a visit last year.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312