You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Solder Sleeves

It looks like we all have our favorite way to attach wiring.

I have tried the amazon crimp connectors....but most are thinner material and do not hold a crimp very well.  I end up soldering after crimping to insure that I do not get pull out.  But mostly I get from Delcity.net are much thicker and do not require any soldering.  

For all connections that are tightened down by a screw I really like installing a ferrule on the end prior to tightening the screw.  much cleaner.  I buy from Ferrulesdirect.com of all places, they have all sizes and lengths

For all larger lugs I make sure to buy UL listed and hydraulically crimp to insure that I get a good connection then add a good shrink tube with adhesive.  

I think many of us have an electrical panel with screw connectors in the engine bay passenger side with 50+ screw connections terminated there.  I have not had any problem with losing connection, but it is very worrisome.  Has anybody done anything to that area?  I was thinking of cleaning the wire after removal,  crimping on a ferrule on the wire then solder sealing the end, sealing the other end with adhesive shrink tube, somehow brushing the aluminum block that is oxidized and reassembling.

Glen, I removed a few wires from those terminals and the copper was still somewhat bright. You could also apply NoAlox which may help stop future corrosion progression.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I like using ferrules also, they provide the wires with a lot of support and protection from vibration and bending. And give a more solid connection.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I treat the solder sleeves as another tool in my toolbox. I used to high temp solder everything with heat shrink tubing on every connection. But there were times when the excess heat would cause other damage that would need to be fixed. Just like crimps are sometimes the best choice.

The sleeves I use are clear, so you can see the solder flow when it does. I also cut and remove insulation to new wire, so I’ve not yet run into a situation needing flux. I often use flux under high temp soldering.

When you’re elbow deep inside a wire loom with zero excess room, I can preserve the integrity of the loom and restore to virtual factory spec using sleeves. Another tool to use.

06 M450LXi 3 slide